Thread: carbide insert tools, yes or no

carbide insert tools, yes or no

I have been reading about the carbide insert tips on turning tools, what I have read sound favorable, but before I purchase, I would like to hear your pro's and con's.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Very useful option for the purpose of getting close to the final shape:
    Pros - low rate of dulling, useful against tough woods and situations.
    Cons - practically unsuitable for sharpening (or reshaping), somewhat rough finish.
    But... some say they can be sharpened on a suitable (blue?) stone, but for a few bucks, theyre expendable. Also, in configurations such as the Ci1, low tendency to catch.

First I will state this is my opinion and that is it. I also do not know your particular skill level, however I personally do not have a real problem with them as some purist seem to, I think there is a place for them, but I will also say that I think it is best to learn to use conventional turning tools first, because there are things you can do with a skew, a bowl gouge, or a spingle gouge that can only be done with those tools. Also mastery of those tools will make your turning enjoyment much better.

With all that said I own a few. For my hollowing rig I use the Monster tool version of the Hunter tool and I also own an easy finisher scraper. I will also probably add to my collection with the small hunter tip for the swivel tip for the hollowing rig. The two that I have do certain things very well but they do not do everything well. I still find I reach for my conventional tools 99+% of the time but both of my carbide insert tools have helped out in a pinch.

Good Luck

Alan

What do you turn?

Jeet Kun Do - Way Of No Way - Whatever Works Is What Works (oh, yeah - i like 'em and use round cutters on a shop-made bar).
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 12-24-2009 at 8:56 AM.

+1 and Ditto what Alan said. Learn to use your conventional tools first before you branch out into speciality tools. Just my opinion.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The Eliminator is my tool of choice for the insides of my boxes. Much better finish than I can get with a conventional scraper, even at a shear angle. Not really a roughing tool though. Also good for clean up on the bottoms of the boxes until my spindle gouge skills get perfected.

robo hippy

i use my homemade cobalt cutter tool for roughing everytime just because it is cheaper to sharpen and eventually replace than using a thompson gouge. i am getting a Ci1 tool for Christmas and plan on using it for all inside roughing of bowls because the tool i made is a bit grabby cause i selected a tool bit that was a little to wide for interior work.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!