Thread: Need advise on Corian cutting speed

Need advise on Corian cutting speed

I haven't done anything in Corian for a while and for Christmas had a couple of family requests for serving boards with engraving come in. All went well except for during the cutting, the routed material just stayed in the groove. I had to use a pointed dental tool to break it up and then it vacuumed out. Even though the surface color was dark grey, the residue in the groove was snow white. (Actually, since they are from sink cutouts I don't know if they are true Corian or another brand solid surface.)

Tool diameter was 0.05" and cutting depth was 2.0 mm. Router motor was set on high (#6) and then one step lower with same results. Setting #6 is 26,000 rpm. Vacuum on the CNC was working fine, good suction and not clogged filters. Tool looked perfect after considerable cutting.

It was less risk cleaning them than experimenting for the true cause due to being presents at the last hour.

Was the router motor speed set too high and the Corian remelting in the groove?

No pictures of the crime scene, but some pictures of one finished board. It is 13" square and colored clay put in the routed slot and then baked. Will be coated with salad bowl coating to seal the clay. Not meant for raw meat use.

Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,
    it sounds like the RPM's were to high the trick is to always cut chips not fine dust. I have a few questions.
    what is the feed rate on the machine?
    what tool are you using, how many flutes?

The sign looks good after the clean up, you must have some good BBQ to be #1
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

i did corian litho panes today, fast router, slow speed = melted corian in groves, slow the router to 14-16000 rpm

jim

A one inch diameter 60 degree Onshrud cutter at 12 to 13 thousand RPM will give you the best finish in Corian but I can't remember the feed rate...will have to check my settings.

Identical speed and feed rates will produce different results in Corian when you change router bits. This one from Onshrud will produce an acceptable cut that is clean and clear of chips. Others I have tried failed to clear the groove after routing and left me with a terrible job cleaning/scraping the grooves.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-25-2009 at 8:10 AM.

Steve take a note from Keith he is the man when it comes to Corian.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Keith,

How about those amana in-groove bits, are they any good for corian?
    George

Hey Steve,
    try an "O" flute or an "O" flute spiral. Depending on the HP of your spindle will also dictate what feed rate to can achieve.

But the MOST IMPORTANT RULE is like Joey said...
    "Make chips not dust"

some times you can just do a double pass to clean the tool path
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=