Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Vise?

Blog Entries

What Is Your Vise?

This thread was started because it seemed more appropriate than redirecting Travis Chapin's thread asking about a bench he is considering.

Pam Niedermayer mentioned the bench being considered did not have a shoulder vise even though the description calls it a shoulder vise.

My lack of experience with a shoulder vise makes it difficult to understand why and for what reasons a shoulder vise would be preferred.

In many of my projects, the face vise ends up being removed from the bench to accommodate my work. If there was a shoulder vise, it would necessitate doing this on the other side of the bench.

What am I missing about the advantage of a shoulder vise as compared to other methods of work holding?

For me, when planing a long board it seems my hip would be constantly bumping into a protruding shoulder vise. It would also limit my ability to plane wood that is longer than my bench.

Maybe it is the things being made that makes the shoulder vise more appropriate than a straight through vise.

Any illumination on this would be appreciated. Surely, others with an eye to outfitting or building a bench will also want to know.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I just completed a 6 foot bench with two vices. The face vice is a large Jorgensen and the end vice is the large Rockler version that spans the 24" width. I'm pleased with the quality and functionality of this pair. The only other model I would consider is the 24" wide LN twin screw vice.

shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This thread was started because it seemed more appropriate than redirecting Travis Chapin's thread asking about a bench he is considering.

Pam Niedermayer mentioned the bench being considered did not have a shoulder vise even though the description calls it a shoulder vise.

My lack of experience with a shoulder vise makes it difficult to understand why and for what reasons a shoulder vise would be preferred.

In many of my projects, the face vise ends up being removed from the bench to accommodate my work. If there was a shoulder vise, it would necessitate doing this on the other side of the bench.

What am I missing about the advantage of a shoulder vise as compared to other methods of work holding?

For me, when planing a long board it seems my hip would be constantly bumping into a protruding shoulder vise. It would also limit my ability to plane wood that is longer than my bench.

Maybe it is the things being made that makes the shoulder vise more appropriate than a straight through vise.

Any illumination on this would be appreciated. Surely, others with an eye to outfitting or building a bench will also want to know.

jim
    I might be mistaken, but the big advantage of a shoulder vise is the complete lack of any lead screws to interrupt your items being clamped. You can drop something pretty wide straight to the floor. Clamp it up and saw it/chisel it/work it. I might even remember this wrong, but I think shoulder vise comes from clamping it to cut tenon shoulders. So essentially, no bumping into a lead screw to get oil/grease/lube on your beautiful work.

d
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

pic

Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Jim,

Wish I could be of help. All I can do is echo your same questions as I don't have a shoulder vise nor have I ever used one.

I currently just have a simple leg vise and something of a makeshift wagon vise. There are many times I wish I had some kind of face vice, especially something with twin screws, but I cannot think of a time when I wished that I had a shoulder vice.

Maybe if I tried one I would change my mind? Probably not. It just looks like it would always be in the way.

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Reading "The Workbench Book," Frank Klaus explains why. You can put wide boards into the vice without interference a second screw or guide rod and with only 1 screw, you shouldn't, in theory, have any racking. Frank particularly likes them for dovetailing.

They have drawbacks. They don't have the clamping power and it's more of a trick to hold a board for jointing with the shoulder getting in the way. And they can /really/ be in the way.

I've actually been thinking of a crazy plan for when I get around to finishing my bench: traditional tail vise right-front corner, quick release left front, and shoulder vise left back corner.

That's it!

Dan nailed it. That is an awesome vice. I wish my bench had one.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

I guess it realy is a mather of preference. I use a leg vice(Roubo style) on the left front leg, and a quick release one on the right end of the bench. the only thing I would change is the quick release one for a twin screw from LV. the leg vice is, IMO the best vice there is.

I have a Pony 27090. It was the lowest priced clamp that did not feel cheap at Woodcraft. I give it an 8 out of 10. -1 for being difficult to tighten for the last 2 inches and -1 for the adjustable dog clogging up with sawdust. Otherwise, it was one of the best ideas for my first workbench and it will probably find its way onto my next bench.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Radtke View Post
    Reading "The Workbench Book," Frank Klaus explains why. You can put wide boards into the vice without interference a second screw or guide rod and with only 1 screw, you shouldn't, in theory, have any racking. Frank particularly likes them for dovetailing.

They have drawbacks. They don't have the clamping power and it's more of a trick to hold a board for jointing with the shoulder getting in the way. And they can /really/ be in the way.

I've actually been thinking of a crazy plan for when I get around to finishing my bench: traditional tail vise right-front corner, quick release left front, and shoulder vise left back corner.
    I think if you do not have your work in line with the screw, you could get racking.

My vises may be the cheapest made. They rack but it is easy to compensate. I can clamp wide boards to the floor and if need be, use a hold fast or clamp on the other side to hold it solid to the bench apron.

My current set up also makes it so the edge of an 8 foot board can be planed on a 5 foot bench.

At times the face vice lends a lot of versatility without the hinderance of something installed permanently.

The idea of having vises of different types all around is one to consider. Surely Harry can show pictures of that again if need be.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't forget patternmakers...

I have a Tucker in the left front and twin screw on right end. The Tucker was recessed into the bench so a board can go beyond the ends of my bench. Rotating the Tucker allows clamping wide boards using a dead man and clamps on the 6" skirt. The Tucker also rotates so that the small jaws are above the benchtop. (very handy). My twin screw has 18" between screws and is also used to hold a planing stop. (I work on all sides of my bench). The only thing I would have done different is to buy a second Tucker for another bench. (Wish Rob would bring them back - Emmerts are too heavy to lift on a bench with Adjusta-Bench legs).

Eric

I have a crusty old 10" craftsman vise that i got at a flea market. It has got to weigh 60 pounds, and it opens to a foot. So i put big oak jaws in it. My bench spans the entire length of one wall in my shop, so i don't have a shoulder or end vise either. I have never stopped and said "gee, if only i could clamp from that direction." I use bench dogs a lot in conjunction with the face vise, and clamp things to the bench.

I don't have a shoulder vise, but wish I did.

When I clamp pieces in my vise, such as to cut dovetails, I have to put a piece of wood of the same thickness on the other side of the vise to prevent racking. It's not a huge deal, but it would be easier if I could hold the piece in a shoulder vise.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    I have a Tucker in the left front and twin screw on right end. The Tucker was recessed into the bench so a board can go beyond the ends of my bench. Rotating the Tucker allows clamping wide boards using a dead man and clamps on the 6" skirt. The Tucker also rotates so that the small jaws are above the benchtop. (very handy). My twin screw has 18" between screws and is also used to hold a planing stop. (I work on all sides of my bench). The only thing I would have done different is to buy a second Tucker for another bench. (Wish Rob would bring them back - Emmerts are too heavy to lift on a bench with Adjusta-Bench legs).

Eric
    Eric, any chance of a couple of photos of your bench? I am especially interested in how you mounted the Tucker. Thanks.

James

It all depends on the bench as a whole. I'm not sold on shoulder vises. I prefer a substantial apron (think vertical bench top) with holdfast holes. This setup allows ultimate flexibility in clamping pieces to the bench in the vertical position whether that's for dovetailing, or jointing. A shoulder vise would be nothing but in the way in that configuration.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot