Thread: Christmas Peppermills

Christmas Peppermills

It has been a busy couple of months. I haven't had time to play with the pictures I took of the Christmas items I made until now. Here are 2 peppermills I made for my sister-in-laws. I wanted to do a different shape than the one I had been making so I went with this shape. Kind of plain (I know they kinda look like bowling pins), but I think the simple curves work well with the laminated Purpleheart/Maple/Dyed black veneer. They are about 8" tall, 3" wide and are finished with several coats of precatalyzed lacquer. Wet sanded and Beal buffed then buffed with Ren wax. I also made the bases to go along with the mills. I think I will make these with all my mills as kind of my signature.

Please critique and let me know what you think!

Keith, those are some of the best mills I have seen!! One would think the laminate design would be too busy, but it really works - and, works well! I think that a more intricate shape would not have worked as well.

The bases were a great idea, and I liked them on the others you did.

This shape reminds me of the old fashioned milk bottles! Got to be careful - showing my age!

Very nice! And, a great finish.

Keith,
    I've made a lot of pepper mills but, those are some of the neatest ones I've seen - Great job. I'm also doing the little trays for droppings...

Wow! Great looking mills! The gentle curves work well with the laminated woods! Your sister-in-laws must have been thrilled to receive these! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice. The look "swanky" to me. Don't ask me why - that is the first word that popped into my head.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Keith those are beautiful. Don't see a thing to critque. Your SIL's had to be extremely happy with those.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Keith these are awesome. I do however like your previous design a tad better but that is not to say these aren't fantastic just that the other you have previously shown, to me is the pinnacle of any pepper grinder I have ever seen. Great job again!

John

Looks like you rolled a "300". Nice work

I love the mills. These may be my favorites of any that I've seen. The laminate looks great and the finish is perfect

Oh man, those are very cool!

Very nice work. Purple heart and maple go so well together. I saw bowling pins too, or old fashioned glass milk bottles. I agree that the simple shape works well with the busier laminated blanks. Love the little trays for them to sit in.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Great looking mills, I like em.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Those are real sweet looking mills Keith.
    Next time I make a few I hope you don't mind if I steal the design..

Thanks everyone for the great comments!

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Those are real sweet looking mills Keith.
    Next time I make a few I hope you don't mind if I steal the design..
    No problem Gary! I laid it all out on paper to make sure the layers lined up where I wanted. Just PM me if you need any help, I could try to scan my layout.

Quote Originally Posted by John W Dixon View Post
    Keith these are awesome. I do however like your previous design a tad better but that is not to say these aren't fantastic just that the other you have previously shown, to me is the pinnacle of any pepper grinder I have ever seen. Great job again!

John
    WOW! Thanks John. Everyone seems to like the other design a lot. I just needed to do something different, now if only I could find time to get some done ahead of time, so people could choose from what I had instead of waiting for me to put some together.

Keith, now that I have my balance back (wavy! ), I can say excellent work on the mills! Great laminate design, and their shape is very pleasing as well. I think the bases are a great way to 'identify' your work - and help keep the place clean, too.