Thread: 1984 Rockwell Unisaw

1984 Rockwell Unisaw

This saw is up for sale in my area, but its a 2 hour drive for me. Before I go to look at it I wanted to ask a few questions. I will bring a friend of mine who is a cabinet maker, so I hope he knows what to look for. But just in case what advice can you give me?

This is what I know via email without looking at it, there are no pictures.

"By upgrade I meant that I purchased a new saw for myself.
    Rockwell Unisaw with unifence serial # 84E27578 cat # 34-801
    3 hp single phase 230 v
    3450 rpm
    15.5 amp
    C.I. table size 28x28 with a 48 ' extension
    This is an older saw that has not seen a lot of use."

The seller is looking for in the $500 range, we have not negotiated yet. I am a homeowner that is just starting my shop and do not plan on ever moving. My original budget was $1,000 and I realized I didn't have enough to get a top of the line new saw, so I'm going the old and reliable route. I also want to make sure I know what I am buying.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

My advise is run don't walk. $500 for a Uni with what appears to be a 52" Unifence is a bargain. If it hasn't seen much use it should be in pretty good shape. The obvious is testing out the lift and tilt mech. to make sure all is smooth. It would be nice to pop the top and check to see that the trunnions are not cracked. Turn it on to see that the motor is good and the bearings are good. You could gos as far as taking a dial indicator and checking for runout. At $500 you can't go too wrong.

I am heading up to purchase this saw this weekend, wondered what you all thought it weighs. The Cast Iron top is 28x28. The owner feels 4 people could lift it no problem.

I am more worried about getting it in my basement with Bilco doors.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew,

I bought a used PM66 a few years ago and my husband and I unloaded it from the back of my pickup no problem, the cast iron top was already removed. If you remove the cast iron top there may be shims at different points, be sure to catalog them, an appliance dolly should make getting it to the basement (shop) no big deal, enjoy your new saw.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Take off the top and the motor and it is a piece of cake for 2 people. It can be done with one with a little know how.

I asked for some moving advice when I bought my Uni a while ago. I was told not to take the top off--remove the wings only. If you do take the top off, you may find there are shims that then have to be replaced in a persnickity way.

With the wings off and an appliance dolly, a friend and I moved mine no problem from the bed of a full size pick up around the side of the house on grass, down a narrow stairway and through a door.

Did you get it yet?

My '74 Unisaw weighs about 400 pounds. You probably will need to re-align the top after moving it even if you didn't take it off. It isn't difficult.

Good Luck with the saw. I get a kick out of this guy... Looks like he did it him self, unloading from the wife's van.

http://machines.2x.nu/unisaw_offloading/index.html

I've transported three different Unisaws, best way to do it is to secure and lock the arbor and drop the head all the way down, then place a thick pad onto the floor of the car or bed of the truck, flip the Unisaw upside down (top down) onto the pad and strap it down securely. They are very top-heavy and weigh 400 lb or more, depending on model year and options. Take the wings off and anything else that might be in the way, first. You can load and unload one solo if you do it this way, and plan the flip carefully, although it's really more of a two-man job.

Only major issues with a saw of that vintage would probably be cracked trunnions (which I've replaced on a used saw) and out-of-true arbor (which is also fixable). I would definitely jump on it for $500. My 1996 Unisaw I paid $800 for (new in the box) with no fence or wings, my 1964 Unisaw I paid $250 for but it's 3-phase and has the old Jetlock fence which I perceive to be junk.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I don't have a Unisaw but

did move a G1023 much like you're talking about. Taking the top off is not that big a deal. I'd want to at least check the top's alignment after getting it to its new home anyway. As Heather said, pay attention to where the shims are under the 4 bolts. I even took my motor off but probably didn't have to. The top & wings are the majority of the weight, at least on the G1023 (unisaw clone though somewhat lighter). I sure wouldn't want it banging around and cracking any cast iron so tieing it down well would be important.

I wish I had taken picture of when me and my brother in law were trying to get my 15" Jet Planer out of the truck, I feel extremely lucky that it didn't get damaged. So I bought one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93840

for about $80.00 and had to use it for the first time on Sunday, and it worked great for getting my 500lb table saw out of the same truck. Of course it was new and boxed on a pallet, which made it easier torun the straps under the unit . Not sure how it will work for my bandsaw when it arrives, It's a lot taller that the table saw.

Greg

Good Luck with the saw. I get a kick out of this guy... Looks like he did it him self, unloading from the wife's van.

Must have no friends, that is just to funny.