Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortise machine or Mortise attachment?

Mortise machine or Mortise attachment?

Haven't done any mortise/tenon joints yet but have them in the plans for 2 new end tables. Is a mortising machine that much better than a mortising attachment for the drill press? Should I spent the 50-75 bucks on a mortising attachment or should I wait and spend the 250-300 on a mortising machine???

Also, if anyone has a good model of either the machine or the attachment let me know so I have some insight on what brand/model to purchase.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

The general concensus is that the drill press attachments suck. I have read they are hard to align and the drill press handle does not giv you enough leverage. I have the Steel City benchtop mortiser and am happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post

Also, if anyone has a good model of either the machine or the attachment let me know so I have some insight on what brand/model to purchase.
    I can highly recommend one of these, but you'll have to find one first:

A Newman T-20, one of the smaller free standing mortisers (smaller being a relative term.)

But about any dedicated mortiser, bench top or free standing, is better than a DP attachment.

Beautiful machine Dave!!

Joe, do you only want a hollow chisel mortiser? If you have a router you could try the Super FMT at about $400 or so - it will do mortises and tenons. Regular FMT is $800.

For hollow chisel I have the Jet Floor Model $850. It is great - they were sooo cheap last year I upgraded from a PM701 $400 which was awesome.

Always the Domino $800ish, Matchmaker $1000, and JDS Multi router $2700 as well.

Lumberyard on woodnet had one more DP mortiser for $25 earlier Friday.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

OK Dave, now that's just plain old showing off! Great machine, btw.

And I agree on a dedicated mortiser versus a DP attachement.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I have used a mortising attachment on a DP. It never really worked well. I now own a PM floor model. It is great. However, if you are just starting out and not sure if you will need a dedicated machine I would recommend either jigging up some sort of router setup or even better (if you don't have to do a lot) a mallet and chisel.

Blog Entries
    In searching here, I found most people really felt they wasted their money on their DP attachments. Of course there were exceptions. I found a mortising machine was more like $500+ by the time I found one that was well regarded by the majority and added decent chisels which most say is a requirement. Many more exceptions here; there are folks running $300 machines with the included chisels and they report they are happy.

With all the negative and mixed reviews, I went with a Mortise Pal as I only found one person who even mildly disliked it (there's your exception again) and I have been very happy with it. That's because it meets my needs (mostly G&G and A&C straight forward M&T type stuff) and the price was right. I notice the price is higher now but the new version is better than mine as well.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...3&d=1262292333

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...7&d=1262292369
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-30-2010 at 9:00 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A DP with an attachment lasted one day in my shop. Man-up and buy a tool you'll grow into, if you can spare the space. I've got the Powermatic floor model. Very nice. Don't skimp on bits. Fisch are my #1 choice.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I will go with the typical craigslist answer.

Around here there aren't a heck of a lot of deals. You run across one every now and then, but there isn't a lot. What I do see plenty of is deticated bench top mortisers. Check your craigslist. I think you will find a good used one. I wouldn't pay more than about $200. You can buy a new SC machine for about $259 that includes chisels. I got in on the Jet floor machine last year but had to buy chisels. As far as chisels go, I bought cheap woodcraft chisels and have been pleasantly suprised. They cut just great, I have done a couple hundred mortises with them and have only sharpend once. Dont forget to get a sharpener for the chisels. Lee Valley or rockler sell the cones used for sharpening. And make sure you hone the sides of the chisels before using. That will keep them slick so they come out smoothly and cleanly.

To me its will you use the machine, you say you are going to make 2 tables, is that it?

If you plan to make a lot more then 2 tables then the machine may be a good investment.

I have an add-on for my old Craftsman DP, it works find. Now if I was doing a ton of mortises I would get a machine but I don't. The thing with an add-on is, they are not as fast, you do have to take it slower.

If your chisels are not SHARP then don't even use it. You can not just plug the bit, you do have to make small jab like movements. You also have to clamp things very well, not a real problem but the hold down that came with mine is just not that good.

With all of that said, I don't use it that much, I have a Mortise Pal and a DowelMax which are both great tools and do a great job.

My tale FWIW: Started with basic Delta benchtop HM, did OK for what it was intended to do, but then I upgraded to PM716. Excellent machine, but up the $$ scale (worth it IMO). Same with Fisch hollow chisels - $, but worth it.

Looking back through the years, what would have gotten me farther, faster - in the broader scheme of things - would have been to buy some good mortise chisels (like the LN I have today), some good bench chisels, hogged the mortises out on DP and developed the basic chisel skill set. I'd still have ended up with the PM eventually.

Never used a router, so this isn't a commentary on that alternative.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards either the Shop Fox or the Jet mortising machine. I do plan on doing more mortises than just the 2 tables. I have a long list of things to build that will need them. The Shop Fox is a good price and has some great reviews, but I know you get what you pay for sometimes with Shop Fox. I want a benchtop and not a full floor machine. Don't have room for a full floor machine right now. The Shop Fox is 239 so I figured if it worked ok then it would be worth it, not having to attach the DP attachment.

Thanks for the insight guys, mortise machine it is!
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Joe,

If you already have a plunge router, consider using it with upcut spiral end mills for slot mortising; you can make a very simple yet very effective jig that makes cutting mortises easy as pie, and, IMO, you'll get cleaner cuts than with even the best hollow chisel mortisers.

Eventually, you'll move up to a dedicated slot mortiser and you'll think you died and went to woodworking heaven .

I used to cut M/T with a drill press then follow up with hand chisels. I bought a set of hollow chisels for the drill press, but never used them because it wouldn’t fit my Rigid drill press. They’re still in the original box. I would take me forever to cut M/T by hand (and I do a lot of mission style work), so I recently bought the delta BT machine. Just got around to using it for the first time this week. I’m not terribly impressed. It got the job done, but there’s still a fare amount of work to do with the chisel to clean up the holes and I do not like the fence much. It's not real acurate. The slide isn't all that impressive either. It needs to be pretty tight to keep the motor steady, but that makes it more difficult to plunge. It definately took some effort to cut 1/2" holes with it. I tried to use a router once, but was not very successful. I’m going to try that again with a couple different jigs that I plan to build.

So when I start adding up all the money I’ve spent of tools to cut M/T’s, the cost of a Festool Domino doesn’t sound quite as bad as it did when I first saw one. I’m beginning to think that’s the way to go if a person does much M/T work.

I am with Bill Huber. Estimate the volume of work you have for the machine.
    Then make your choice.
    I have a DP attachment that works fine for the amount I use it.
    I am glad that I did not invest too much in that type of mortise,
    because I found the Festool Domino that I have now adopted as my
    mortise of choice.
    I do like the Leigh FMT, but they are kinda pricy also.

Good luck
    John