Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baltic Birch Plywood prices?

Baltic Birch Plywood prices?

I have been looking all over for people locally that stock BB plywood and have had very limited results. Most places do have the ability to order it for me. I am very new to BB plywood and have heard very good things about it, with the most important being that it is very stable.

What is a fair price range that I should be willing to pay for 3/4" and maybe even some 1/2". The one place that had 3/4" gave me a quote of something like $79 per 5x5 sheet. I was not expecting that kind of price on a small 5x5 peice of plywood. Does this sound reasonable or should I not dream of paying that?

I paid 30 for a 4x4 sheet of 1/2" today... I was also surprised at how expensive it is

My supplier stocks two grades, A and B. The B grade has patches in places (maybe 2-3/side), which is fine for drawer stock, which is what I use it for. 15mm (~5/8") BB in B grade costs me $40.00/sheet. This is from a sheet good wholesaler. $79/sheet for 3/4" A grade might be a little high, but doesn't surprise me, especially if you're getting it from a lumberyard ordering it from a wholesaler.

You might be able to get away with thinner stock in BB, given its lumber core. Ask about the prices on other thicknesses. Good luck. Walt.

about $75 for 3/4 sheet is what I have seen also. Appleply, a similar product made domestically, is also in that range, but for a 4x8 sheet. I think even less people stock that.

All plywood is stable. The advantage that baltic birch and its many cousins have is that the core construction provides a very appealing edge, and it is free of any voids (although it's certainly possible to get void free sheet goods in many other grades and brands).

As has already been mentioned, ApplePly is a domestically produced product that uses 1/16" laminations of birch and alder, and it comes in 4x8 sheets at a fraction of the cost of baltic birch (or finnish birch).

As for suppliers, the easiest way to find a local source is to use google... failing that call a local cabinet shop and ask them where they buy from. It will be available locally for you and in the worst case scenario you will have to drive a little (I have to run up 25 miles each way for my preferred local supplier).

Tony if you are near a Rockler retail store you're in luck.

I am an amatuer garage woodworker, became aware of baltic birch plywood 4-5 yrs ago when a speaker I wanted to build was specified to be made with baltic birch plywood- no exception. Audio Note in Britian uses it for their speakers and kits. At that time a 3/4 X 60 X 60 inch piece was in the low $50s in Seattle. It has ranged into the $70s since then but I believe I saw it for about $60 last month.

The local Rockler retail store stocks it but the largest size is 30" X 60" and it tends to retail for more than I would want to pay. On the other hand they do have a nice variety of thicknesses. The current flyer for the time period Jan 2 to Jan 29th just arrived and the baltic birch is on sale at 50% off. The example in the flyer is for the 3/4 X 30 X 60 inch size regular $49.99, sale price 24.99. That makes the regular price for a 5' X 5' piece $100- yowie! However at half it is of course $50 for a full piece of 3/4". That is better than I can do locally that I have found. I am going to go load up a bunch of the 30 X 60 inch pieces to have on hand in probably 3 or 4 thicknesses, I find the size very handy. You will find people tend to use it for jigs or other applications where a quality piece of ply is needed.

So if there is a Rockler down the road you're in luck, if not hopefully the price references helped.

Regards,
    Larry R- Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Rasmussen View Post
    I am an amatuer garage woodworker, became aware of baltic birch plywood 4-5 yrs ago when a speaker I wanted to build was specified to be made with baltic birch plywood- no exception. Audio Note in Britian uses it for their speakers and kits. At that time a 3/4 X 60 X 60 inch piece was in the low $50s in Seattle. It has ranged into the $70s since then but I believe I saw it for about $60 last month.

The local Rockler retail store stocks it but the largest size is 30" X 60" and it tends to retail for more than I would want to pay. On the other hand they do have a nice variety of thicknesses. The current flyer for the time period Jan 2 to Jan 29th just arrived and the baltic birch is on sale at 50% off. The example in the flyer is for the 3/4 X 30 X 60 inch size regular $49.99, sale price 24.99. That makes the regular price for a 5' X 5' piece $100- yowie! However at half it is of course $50 for a full piece of 3/4". That is better than I can do locally that I have found. I am going to go load up a bunch of the 30 X 60 inch pieces to have on hand in probably 3 or 4 thicknesses, I find the size very handy. You will find people tend to use it for jigs or other applications where a quality piece of ply is needed.

So if there is a Rockler down the road you're in luck, if not hopefully the price references helped.

Regards,
    Larry R- Seattle
    what rockler flyer are you referring to? is this something specific to your local store or is it on sale everywhere?

Garrett,
    I just got the same ad last night from Rockler for the $24.99 BB 30"x60". It wasn't store specific like some of the ads that I get from them but I assume it applies. The Rockler in Royal Oak, MI (Metro Detroit) is the closest to me.
    Keith

Rockler

Garrett,
    The flyer I got about a week or so ago is not posted on their web site yet. Or at least I couldn't fined it.
    Small print says limit one per customer, but I would guess that would be a call on their part.
    I doubt you could load up and buy every piece they had. I know when my wife and I go down there Saturday morning and someone came in to buy it all out, I would raise more than a little cane over it.
    Not sure about your store though. Only availible at reatil stores.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Tony, Have a price list right here.

3/4 European Birch 4x8 sheet $123.00
    1/2 " " " " $ 94.50
    1/4 " " " " $ 55.50

3/4 Russian 5x5 $ 54.00
    1/2 " " $ 34.50
    1/4 " " $ 24.75

3/4 Russian Phenolic faced 4x8 $87.00

These prices sre from the most recent catalog they sent me and that was in May 2009. The store is Johnsons lumber and workbench in Charlotte, Michigan. It's about a 2 hour ride for me but they have just about everything. Hope this helps, Mike
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Ellis View Post
    what rockler flyer are you referring to? is this something specific to your local store or is it on sale everywhere?
    Any Rockler retail store; 50% off on 3/4", 60x30 @ $24.99. My store also is not prepared for these sales and I usually can get only a panel or two, even on the first day. This is not that great of a sale if you have a yard near you that stocks the stuff normally. Reel Lumber in SoCal gets about $60 for 3/4" 5x5 sheets of B grade (a few football plugs on each side). I consider myself lucky to get it at all as my supplier stated that the chemical restrictions in California were to make BB ply unavailable, period, starting in 2009. Guess that was bad data, eh?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-29-2009 at 8:59 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Schlosser View Post
    about $75 for 3/4 sheet is what I have seen also. Appleply, a similar product made domestically, is also in that range, but for a 4x8 sheet. I think even less people stock that.
    Andrew and others in central PA area,

Industrial plywood in Reading, PA has 5x5 Baltic Birch for $34 for 3/4" BBB grade, which I believe is patches on at least one side. They also deliver pretty inexpensively.

Rob

Glenn,

Only a panel or two at the Ontario Rockler? Just out of curiosity, what day are you going there to buy some? I think I may be going the day before that.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Rob-
    Thanks for the Reading PA Industrial Plywood. Never knew about them, and looks like they have all kinds of good things! I'm going to stop in there on my way home tomorrow.

I don't know about the 3/4". Just got a price recently on 1/2" - 5 X 5 at about $28.00.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution