Thread: Motors Will Not Turn

Motors Will Not Turn

Have setup a 3 axis package (Kelingnet.net 4030 with C10). Been over and over the wiring and all is as it should be. Strong 36VDC out of the main power supply and connected where needed on the drivers. A good solid on the button 5VDC where needed on the breakout board and to the drivers. Red or Green power lights all lit on everything, so input power is good.

6 wire 420 Oz/in steppers wired thusly:

A+ = Red-White / Blue-White
    A- = Red / Blue
    B+ = Black-White / Green-White
    B- = Black / Green

X Step = Pin 2
    X Dir = Pin 3
    Y Step = Pin 4
    Y Dir = Pin 5
    Z Step = Pin 6
    Z Dir = Pin 7

Mach 3 port 1 is set to 0x378 and enabled (printer port)

Motor Outputs for X, Y, Z are enabled and pins set as listed above.

Input signals for limit switches etc disabled as I'm just trying to get motors to spin on the table at the moment.

Load up the sample roadrunner.tap g-code that comes with mach3, click on cycle start and nothing happens.

motors ARE getting power because they jump a bit when the electronics package is plugged in and power applied.

Computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 2.4Ghz, 2GB Ram so plenty of operating power. One thing I'm not sure on is in the bios. I just wonder if I'm getting any signals out of the printer port and not really sure how I would check that as I don't have an old printer that is not USB.

BIOS setting options are:

PS/2 @ 378h
    EPP @ 378h
    ECP @ 378h

don't think that it should matter on the type as long as it is 378h on lpt1

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mike,
    Although I built my cnc router, I'm not experienced enough to help troubleshoot your problem. I would suggest that along with your post here, you post on cnczone with the same question. There is plenty of help here but there are more folks on cnczone and the chance that you'll get an answer may be better there - nothing to do with knowledge or experience or helpfulness, just a numbers thing.

Gary

I have been thru the kelinginc.net site for the package and gone thru their mach3 setups over and over as well...still nothing...grrrrr.

[QUOTE=Mike Wenman;1295124]I just wonder if I'm getting any signals out of the printer port and not really sure how I would check that as I don't have an old printer that is not USB.
    QUOTE]

Mike take a metal paper clip and stick in a step/dir port then one in the ground. then take a volt meter and check to see if you have a 5 volts.
    if no then your port setting in mach will need to be changed. i have had some problems in the past getting mach to find the port.

keep us posted
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenman View Post
    Have setup a 3 axis package (Kelingnet.net 4030 with C10). Been over and over the wiring and all is as it should be. Strong 36VDC out of the main power supply and connected where needed on the drivers. A good solid on the button 5VDC where needed on the breakout board and to the drivers. Red or Green power lights all lit on everything, so input power is good.

6 wire 420 Oz/in steppers wired thusly:

A+ = Red-White / Blue-White
    A- = Red / Blue
    B+ = Black-White / Green-White
    B- = Black / Green

X Step = Pin 2
    X Dir = Pin 3
    Y Step = Pin 4
    Y Dir = Pin 5
    Z Step = Pin 6
    Z Dir = Pin 7

Mach 3 port 1 is set to 0x378 and enabled (printer port)

Motor Outputs for X, Y, Z are enabled and pins set as listed above.

Input signals for limit switches etc disabled as I'm just trying to get motors to spin on the table at the moment.

Load up the sample roadrunner.tap g-code that comes with mach3, click on cycle start and nothing happens.

motors ARE getting power because they jump a bit when the electronics package is plugged in and power applied.

Computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 2.4Ghz, 2GB Ram so plenty of operating power. One thing I'm not sure on is in the bios. I just wonder if I'm getting any signals out of the printer port and not really sure how I would check that as I don't have an old printer that is not USB.

BIOS setting options are:

PS/2 @ 378h
    EPP @ 378h
    ECP @ 378h

don't think that it should matter on the type as long as it is 378h on lpt1

Any ideas or suggestions?
    E-stop NC switch? On the diagnostics screen in mach does it show any active inputs?

Do you have any motor tuning entered? remember to hit apply after changing each axis and before going to the next axis in the list.

I would set the bios to EPP

I would not worry about running the roadrunner - just try jogging with the arrow keys and pageup/pagedown for the Z

c10 Jumper set correctly for output on pins 2-9?

Charge Pump enabled & to the correct pin?

C10 documentation

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...products_id=45

The first setup can be really frustrating
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

On my C10 Breakout Board:

I have jumpers set as follows:

Pins 2 - 9 for outputs
    Common = Gnd
    Output Pins 2 - 9 jumpered for pull down
    Input Pins 10 - 15 jumpered for pull down

X step pin2 dir pin3
    y step pin4 dir pin5
    z step pin 6 dir pin6

Have torque on all 3 axis motors when power applied to drivers so that is working good.

Paralled Cable: Straight thru DB25 male to male

Computer => System Resources shows ECP LPT1 as 0378 - 037F

Checked parallel cable both pins 2 and 3 to ground and both have 4.5vdc on them although, when watching my meter when jogging using up/dwn arrows, positon indicated in Mach3 moved, but the 4.5VDC remained constant and did not change which I believe it should otherwise the motor does not know it is to move.

In Mach3 Config. Port#1 enabled and set to 0x378

Motor Outputs set per breakout board for axis and step/dir pins having Dir / Step Low Active on or off has no effect at this point. Step/dir ports set to 1

Input Signals all off except EStop but that is set to Port #0 pin10

Note: I tried to put jumper btwn pin10 and +5vdc and Mach3 did not show a red light on the diagnostics page. further indication that there is an interface problem.

Motor Tuning: nothing set in there yet. Right now I'm just trying to spin in air with motors laying on a board before connecting to lead screws.

Motors I have are Keling 425 Oz/in. will be using 10 turn screws right now until I get enuff $$ to up to 5 turn 2 start. was recommended to use 1/4 microsteps

based on that, really not sure how to set motor tuning.

Mike

Check the parallel cable

Hi,

A LOT of parallel port cables sold are 'file transfer' cables. That means they have some wires reversed. They will not work. Use your ohmmeter to confirm that each pin goes to the same pin on the other end. If not, then replace the cable.

EDIT: sorry I just saw the 'DB25 straight through' in a prior post. You should disable the charge pump on the Keling board if it allows it. All of the HP computers I am currently using will NOT correctly drive the charge pump on a Gecko G540 which is known to be designed to good specs.

The EPP setting is usually very important.

-James
    Last edited by James Leonard; 12-29-2009 at 1:08 PM.
    Liberty CNC / Sherline / Mach3 / SheetCAM / CorelDraw V12, X3 and X4 / EZ Smart System / DragonCNC / DXFTool

After re-checking again, I did find that the 25pin cable I had was in-fact a serial crossover cable.

I did find an older 25pin male to female cable that I checked and had continuity from 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc. ran over to my local radio shack and got a 25pin gender changer so I now have Male to Male.

I found reference to a softare parallel port monitor. ran that and noticed that with no cables connected, according to the program, pins 1 - 16 are high and 17-25 are low and they will not change state when I try to jog an axis.

I connect the cable from pc to breakout and noticed that without my electronics even plugged in, my breakout board has power. hmmm..not good.

It just so happened that Dell telephoned me about a previous support issue I had and I did speak with a technician and it would seem that there is a motherboard failure that is forcing all the pins high. Option would be to install a pci card that would offer lpt output.

even if it doens't work on the dell PC, I do have an HP I could prossibly use that in, that is IF a pci - lpt card would work with mach3

It just so happened that Dell telephoned me about a previous support issue I had and I did speak with a technician and it would seem that there is a motherboard failure that is forcing all the pins high. Option would be to install a pci card that would offer lpt output.

even if it doens't work on the dell PC, I do have an HP I could prossibly use that in, that is IF a pci - lpt card would work with mach3
    you might be onto something with that. If you have another computer available ruling out that issue would be smart.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 12-29-2009 at 4:14 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

I ran my last CNC with a cheapo Lava PCI lpt port. It is an EPP cable card and I specicically searched one out with that.

http://www.amazon.com/Lava-Computer-.../dp/B00006I5FJ

there may be chaeper ones out there but this is what I used on my POS e-machine to get the router to move. That computer is sitting and waiting for an X3 conversion to happen

I'll be driving to Colorado Springs to a computer store there to purchase a pci LPT card in the next day or 2, so won't know anything further until then. The shop I spoke with said they just got some in for around 25.00. Didn't say if they were EPP or not, but am sure that most of them are or would be.

Definately one dis-advantage of living out in the sticks is that any computer store is a 2 hour drive away just to get there and even overnight shipping takes 3 days for me.. lol

Went after the pci printer card. got it installed, disabled the onboard lpt1 and then set mach3 to the port address. plugged in a new 6' pass-thru cable, powered up the electronics and finally, yes finally got motors to spin!

Now, on to motor tuning. using inches (imperial) and I believe the standard for most motors is 200 steps per in. will be using a 1/2" - 10 tpi lead screw and drivers set for 1/4 micro stepping so my motor tuning setup for stpes per would be 8000? that would be 200 * 10 = 2000 half steps / .25 = 8000.

Also, velocity and accel defaults of 120 and 4?

Mike

Blog Entries
    Mike,

Glad to see that you have them turning. I have been following this thread with great interest as I am building my own machine right now and will be using Mach 3. Keep up the great work, I am a few months behind you.

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Went after the pci printer card. got it installed, disabled the onboard lpt1 and then set mach3 to the port address. plugged in a new 6' pass-thru cable, powered up the electronics and finally, yes finally got motors to spin!

Now, on to motor tuning. using inches (imperial) and I believe the standard for most motors is 200 steps per in. will be using a 1/2" - 10 tpi lead screw and drivers set for 1/4 micro stepping so my motor tuning setup for stpes per would be 8000? that would be 200 * 10 = 2000 half steps / .25 = 8000.

Also, velocity and accel defaults of 120 and 4?

Mike
    You are correct on the Steps per inch with the drivers set at 1/4 microstepping.

As far as the acceleration and speed goes - you are going to have to experiment to find that sweet spot. I would incrementally increase my velocity to a point where I get a stalling of that axis (do one at a time) Then back it off 25%. Now start messing with the acceleration. The acceleration is what allows you to cut fast and precise. If you have the acceleration too low - the machine will never even be able to get up to your velocity before it must decelerate to make the direction change. Again, I would keep upping the accell and test by jogging that axis back/forth with the arrow keys (or pageup/down on the Z) making quick and fast opposite direction changes. If your machine is aligned - I would hope you can get into the 20's. Agian - you need to find where the machine cannot handle it and then back off 25%.

One pitfall that you may have is that the individual axis may work great - but do not play well together when running a move where all 3 are changing direction - this can be the case when running a 3D part. It means that you may have to further reduce vel and accel. A cause can be an under amperage power supply that cannot handle driving all 3 axis at once.

Good luck with the tuning!