Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reception Desk with Curved Front

Reception Desk with Curved Front

Making the curved portion of a reception desk for an assisted living home.

Gonna look like this when it's done

I made the curved section using Flexboard and supported it by a ribbed structure.

The desk will have shaker panels. On the curved section I'm going to cheat with the panels. The Flexboard has a smooth masonite type surface that will be the field of the panel. I used 1/4" MDF that I cut out rectangles in which will simulate the stiles and rails. This needed to be glued onto the curved structure. Used about 50 clamps and some cauls.

Amazingly.... I still had 6 clamps left over

Took it out of the clamps today and did the trimming and sanding. Came out good.

The curve is close enough to a sealed unit so I have to get the electrical in there before I put it together. Asked the electrician a bunch of questions and got no answer. So I went metal with 12ga.

This Flexboard pc forms the toekick and the inside surface under the curved countertop.
    The receptionist will sit in this area.

Doing some test fitting today. Trying to envision how things will go together in the final product. Lots of interference from various components in the desk and the room. The electrical is an issue because I am trying to save space in the room. I wanted to have hollow walls on the flat panels also, but the extra 3" cause to many problems. Now I have to be creative to get the electrical where I need it.

Probably going to short them on drawer depth on two drawers, one in each cabinet. Need to hide the outlets. It is what it is.

Here's the desk just put together in length.

I drew out the curved countertop. It's a weird one. It is concentric to the inside
    but the outside diameter needs to be and offset radius because at the center of the
    panel the counter sticks out 3" and at the desk area it only sticks out 1 3/4"

On the original drawing I think I had it stick out 1" instead of 1 3/4". I didn't want the
    difference to stand out. And in the final cutout it doesn't.

Just a close up. Nothing is sanded yet.

Notes for the curved section. This stuff don't build itself you know.

Did a cardboard mock up so they could see what they are getting and to get it positioned front to back to see if I have to make any modifications to the cabinet near the stairs. After mocking it up and setting it up, I see one or two issues with their design. Main one being they'll need to use a small monitor for the computer and the work area is only in the curved area. I suggested that they take the big metal filing cabinet that they have plans to put under the counter and just put it in the area behind the desk and then you have a 44" area where the person can do their work and when a person comes in needing help can move to that area.

Things are getting set in stone, so they need to make decisions soon.

Had fun trying to make the drawer lock work. Instructions are worthless and pretty much non existent. They must be for an application without side mounted drawer slides. You know, old school single wood slide under the center of the drawer. I made up my own instructions.

Their instructions said it needed an 1/8 deep x 7/8" wide slot. My version needed a 3/8" deep x 1" wide slot. Could have been less wide but it might have caused issues that I don't need. Plus I needed to mortise the entire lock into the panel which was never mentioned, same with the containment piece.

Pedistal Drawer Lock mechanism mounted in cabinet side panel

The key side of the panel. Sticks out to far for my liking. I might make a escutcheon to
    make it look like it doesn't stick out so much.

3/8" x 7/16" slot routed in side of drawer to receive locking pin

Drawer in unlocked position

Drawer in locked position

Getting towards the end of the job. Couple more days. Tomorrow will conclude the finishing as long as things go smooth. Put the final coat on everything today minus the accent coat. The accent coat will be a darker shade in the recessed panel areas of the front of the desk. The drawer fronts and door will be monotone.

Drawer front fitting completed

Primed and then painted.

pics while wet

So tomorrow I'll be masking off the frame and painting the panel areas of the 2 large panels and the curved section. The Sapele' countertops have been stained and will be coated with a satin 2K poly.

Got the panels masked off and painted today. What a pain to mask. I wanted the shoulder to stay the base color. Plus that makes it so I don't have to worry much about paint leaking under the tape if I just did the surface of the frames.

After that I covered the frame with 2" tape. I covered the leg with a pc of cardboard because I certainly wasn't going to cover it with 2" tape.

Then I scuff sanded the panels hard and blew them off. Did a box coat of the accent paint.

The paint scared me. Came out looking very light. I did a toekick right before the 1st panel and that had a few minutes on it. I checked it and it was darker. Still, I pulled out the phone and looked up the color and as I thought, the wet paint was very off color. When it dried it was correct.

Waited an hour fifteen and pulled the tape.

I only got around to putting the sealer on the 3 Sapele counters. 2 coats on the top, one on the bottom so far. No pics yet.

Well the desk went in today. Did most of it without a helper, he had his own jobs to attend to. He came in later to give a hand. Nice to have help.

Got there about 10am, unpacked the tools, dealt with the electrician and the IT guy on how they would need to do their portion. Told both to come back after 2 when it was up so we could really discuss how cables need to be run.

I photoshopped the carpet back in

Sapele tops. First I bleached them to get the color out and even and then stained.

Was finished up about 4:30

Wow, that's amazing work. Great job!!!!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for posting Leo , I for one enjoy the evolution a project goes through fro conception to finish . Nice thread and finished product.

I too enjoyed seeing the evolution of this project. Very nice work and thanks for taking the time to document this and share it.

Nice job,hope you came out well on it, some of those things are extremely expensive. Hate the colors...straight from the puke palette.

Ya, colors aren't my favorite either. The palette they chose for the whole area is like that. So when you go in there it looks OK

Reminds me of the time I bought my house. We went through it before we bought it and it was furnished. After we bought it and were moving in both of us said "where the heck did that lime green carpet in the living room come from". But it looked ok with the furnishings they had there, until there were none.

So far I've come out ahead on it. The desk itself with install came to about 11,400