Thread: replacing/improving lateral adjuster

replacing/improving lateral adjuster

I picked up this Crescent no.5 for a few dollars at a thrift store. It's no Bed Rock, but it does seem like a half decent plane. I've made a new knob and tote and ordered a Hock iron, but the lateral adjuster remains a serious weakness. It is a thin, soft piece of steel that is bent easily and doesn't move smoothly. It is connected with a rivet-type thing (what's this called?) in the same manner as my Stanley and LN planes, but not nearly as well. Any ideas on how I can replace or improve it? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wouldn't bother, I would just use a plane hamer to set the lateral of the blade like on a woodie! I do some time on my metal bodyed plane for real fine adjustment!

I'd say leave it. Maybe lube it up, but otherwise you won't be using it much anyways. If you need to center the blade just make sure the blade's not tightened down too much. Are you noticing the weakness of it being bent up and down? Because its strength should be in its side-to-side movement.
    Anyways, replacing it might be more trouble than it's worth IMO.

Blog Entries
    it does seem like a half decent plane.
    OK then, what about the other half?

It will be interesting to see how this works with the new blade.

It looks as if there is not a frog adjustment. Is this just the picture not showing the hole frog?

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

No frog adjustment. The frog and body are one piece.

If you want to improve it, you'll simply have to replace it. Is that lever attached to that half round metal looking plate? Or is that milled surface of that frog? As far as rivet goes, it looks like firmly squashed out, I would take a drill and drill through the river and take the lever out.

From what I can see, the biggest flaw wouldn't be the lever. It's that frog. There is very little surface for the blade to rest on, especially between mouth and lever cap screw. It is the area that takes the force and vibration, even if it was finely tuned, I wouldn't trust it for fine cut.

You can buy old fashioned lateral lever a-la vintage Stanley from vintage tool dealers who also sell parts, but personally I wouldn't put invest any more into that one. It's just not made to be a fine user by design.

OK, thanks. Maybe it was not the project I thought it was. I don't need it to be the best user--I have a Lie Nielsen no. 5 already--I just thought it was a fun project. If nothing else it will have a nice knob and tote.

Well heck Zach,
    If fun is what you want then go for it! Don't let us stop you. If you're making this a fun, side project you should give it a try and then take pictures and share your thoughts along the way. I'm sure it would be valuable information for someone to have who may really need to replace a lateral adjuster. Maybe find a way to customize it. If you've got the time and resources then why not?

You know i was thinking that the frog was going to be the redeeming feature of the plane. It really doesn't matter if there isn't blade support back by the logo on the blade- that's not where it is cutting. Assuming that frog is flat and the lever cap is tight, the plane should perform well- assuming the throat isn't 1/4" wide with no way to fix it... oh wait now i see ... it does have half a frog... weird...

I'll update this later. The new know I turned is longer than the old one and I need to get a new screw for it. I have a new old no. 6 coming, so it is the new plane project since that is a plane I actually need.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I'll update this later. The new know I turned is longer than the old one and I need to get a new screw for it. I have a new old no. 6 coming, so it is the new plane project since that is a plane I actually need.
    I was thinking of a #6 project. It would just be my luck it will never happen. Because a few respected voices in the world of plane aficionadodom claim it is a useless plane, it is shunned by many. This has kept their open market prices low.

It seems though, everyone that uses one finds they do make shavings just like all of their plane brethren. They can be rehabilitated in to becoming respectable members of shaving making society. As word gets out, they will garner respect in the world of planedom. Then there will be a rush by woodworkers everywhere seeking out this new shining beauty to put into their current fleet of planes.

That is when the doors to my warehouse full of fully fettled #6s will be thrown open and everyone will be welcome in to the house of 6.

Horses will dance and pigs will fly...

Yeah, it ain't gonna happen.

Happy New Year anyway,

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have a well fettled 6 and i never ever use it. it doesn't do anything that i can't already do with a 5 1/2 or a 7. FWIW, i find the 5 1/2 just slightly more useful than a 6. barely. if i used my scrub plane more, i might turn to a 6 afterwards, but unfortunately both just gather dust while a surface planer does the bulk of the work. there i said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I was thinking of a #6 project. It would just be my luck it will never happen. Because a few respected voices in the world of plane aficionadodom claim it is a useless plane, it is shunned by many. This has kept their open market prices low.

It seems though, everyone that uses one finds they do make shavings just like all of their plane brethren. They can be rehabilitated in to becoming respectable members of shaving making society. As word gets out, they will garner respect in the world of planedom. Then there will be a rush by woodworkers everywhere seeking out this new shining beauty to put into their current fleet of planes.

That is when the doors to my warehouse full of fully fettled #6s will be thrown open and everyone will be welcome in to the house of 6.

Horses will dance and pigs will fly...

Yeah, it ain't gonna happen.

Happy New Year anyway,

jim

I loved that post. Reminds me of my wifes rant about the rhombus, and how it is overlooked, unloved, and one day it'll get the respect it deserves. . .

But, in a more serious vein, prices on #6s low? Why can't I find a #6 at a low price? Grrr.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Evans View Post
    I loved that post. Reminds me of my wifes rant about the rhombus, and how it is overlooked, unloved, and one day it'll get the respect it deserves. . .

But, in a more serious vein, prices on #6s low? Why can't I find a #6 at a low price? Grrr.
    Before anyone complains that the rhombus is off topic, it is actually a quadrilateral. Now how many planes have four lateral adjusters I ask you?

#6s often are lower priced on ebay than many of the others.
    Wow, just took a look at completed auctions. It looks like the price may have drifted up a bit. Still a few of them going for less than $30 including the shipping. Saw a tote and knob that went for more than a lot of them. I can never figure out why some of the parts go for more $ than the whole thing.

Maybe it is getting late for my get rich eventually plan.

jim

I think it is Chris Schwarz that has a #6 set up with a scraper insert that he swears by for smooting large panel glue ups. I have a #6c and am waiting on getting together the capital to buy an insert to set one up in a similar fashion. Now if I can just find a new 5 1/2C to replace the busted one.