Thread: Ashley Iles Mk 2

Ashley Iles Mk 2

Anyone here tried the new Ashley Iles Mk 2 chisels?? I'm considering buying some to finish out my set of chisels for home. I read a review of them somewhere and now can't find it.
    Thanks!!!

I had the DT chisels from them and was not to impressed! Mabe the Mk2 are better, the DT one needed quite a bit of work to get them going. IMO there is better chisels out there, like the LN and espacialy BS, that are the best IMO, if I was to start over, they would be my choice. I have there DT paring chisels and they are just great. I'm quite happy with some vintage Stanley 720's and Buck Brothers I found on the bay to!

Casey,
    I actually have the Ashley Iles Mk 2 bevel edge butt chisels available here: http://workshopheaven.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi The blade profile is basically the same as the cabinet makers chisels, but they are shorter and I like the balance and handle size better. I like this blade profile and find that I am having much better precision getting into tight corners for dovetails. I've also have good results flattening the backs and getting them sharp. I've not had any issues with them holding an edge either--but I admit, I don't have experience with a wide range of chisels either so this is not based on any direct comparison. I'm happy with them.

I have the regular AI chisels from TWW and the backs were easy to flatten and the steel takes a great edge but... I have been planning to cut down the handles as they are top heavy. So from my point of view the Mk2 seem like a great idea. In fact I was thinking of getting one to see if I like the handle size and then cut down and slim down my old handles to match.

I heard Erik Anton Berg is better...

I have prepped and used both the original AIs and the new MkIIs

Matthew of WorkShopHeaven here in the UK puts a lot of time into working with his suppliers to fine tune the product he offers.

The MkII are a case in point. Once prepped (which some, myself included, had major issues with) the original AIs were great, though the large handles perhaps unweildy on the smaller sizes.
    The MkIIs are super quick to prep (just a few strokes) being (obscenely) slightly concave along their length - think the amount of concavity one might get from David Charlesworth's back/face prep technique.

The MkII chisels offered in the US are I presume the same.

MK 2's are good

Mine required little prep and work well.

Unhappy Disappointed

I bought 2 ( 1/4" & 3/8") when at the Valley Forge show. I wish I'd taken the guards off and looked closely while there. When I looked at home I was very disappointed. I don't have a very good eye for what is and isn't square, but I can see that the 3/8" is way out of square and the 1/4" is rounded (cambered from side to side) on the edge. I guess from the reviews and praise the brand has been getting, I was expecting better. For now they are still in the drawer, untouched and unused. Eventually I'll work on them. On a positive note, they do seem very well balanced. I like the shorter handle and blade. I can't comment on their edge holding yet.

Paul

I'm surprised to hear so many negative comments. I bought a set from TFWW this summer as an upgrade from a set of Marples Blue Chips. Initial setup was quick and easy, and the steel holds an edge much better than my Marples (no surprise there). I still lust for the Lie Nielsen socket chisels, but I'm in graduate school... money is an object for me. The Ashley Iles hit a nice sweet spot in price/performance for me, and I've been very pleased with them so far.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut