Thread: Wixey Digital Planer Readout Install

Wixey Digital Planer Readout Install

I just received this for Christmas for my Delta 22-580.Just wondering if anybody else has installed it and if there was any particular problems I should be aware of.The directions look pretty straight forward.
    Thanx in advance
    Greg

I need help too!

I bought one when they were on sale and was wanting a Creeker to show me how to do it without cutting up the planer! You should be able to make extensions instead. Would love some help!

Blog Entries
    From Wixey's site: http://www.wixey.com/planer/fit/delta02.html

One thing I did was to lose the foam tape. It allowed too much flex. I drilled small holes and ran very small screws in. Mine is on a DeWalt 734. Love the thing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I put one on my el' cheapo wilton planer a while back. I stuck with the tape but could certainly see why the screw mounting would have been better. I expected the gauge to ride a little more freely, it seems that all of the rough edges on the stampings really create some friction.

It took a little bit of gentle "bending" of the brackets to make it run smoothly. I had to keep trying different sequences of tightening the screws though. I did find that when I tightened the screw going from the brackets on the planer head into the plastic on the actual gauge it would bind instantly. I had to leave it a little less than manly tightened for the gauge not to bind.

Works great though. I will definitely pass it on to the next planer when my skills improve enough.....or craigslist is nice to me!

Hope this helps (& works). Click on the image to start a slide show: