Thread: Dremel Stylus

Dremel Stylus

Anyone own the Dremel Stylus? Thoughts about the tool.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Thoughts? Looks like Captain Kirk found a place holder for his phaser!

Sorry, no, I don't have one... you had two questions and since I couldn't help with the first, I thought I would be useless by adding my "thought".
    I drink, therefore I am.

I've looked at it and handled it. My impression was that I'd be giving up the fine control I'm used to with a Dremel by going with the pistol grip. I'm sure there is some "odd" way of grasping it, but if you're going to do that, why bother with the pistol grip?

I have had one about a year now and love it for certain applications. If you intend to do a lot of heavy grinding or cutting use a corded dremel. The stylus is very articulate to work with and I would not delete it from my tool box. The shortcomings are limited life of battery charge and when appling to much pressure the automatic over heat circuit cuts it off. So it requires restarting. Depending on your needs I would strongly condsider adding it to your tool arsenal. But for polishing, cutting, grinding etc on small projects it becomes an extension of your hand.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

I'm not very pleased with any of Dremel's products right now.

My Dremel 400 has developed a flaky on/off switch.
    The multifunction tool, which I paid nearly three times more than the HF version, is not quite as useful as the cheaper HF version.
    My cordless LiIon screwdriver (same body as the Stylus) will no longer grip bits.

As well as a number of other petty annoyances - which are magnified by the fact that Dremel products aren't exactly cheap.

IMHO - current Dremel quality is lacking badly.
    They deliver no name Chinese level stuff, but continue to charge "name brand" prices for it.

My biggest concern w/the Stylus would be what do you do when the battery is shot? Toss it?

FWIW - I got a blow out price on my cordless - $29.00 - and have used it enough on the current rehab to have gotten my money's worth out of it.
    if there's no battery provision, I don't really care, I'll toss it.

My thoughts would be - I'd pass one by.

Rich,

If you're willing to pay shipping back to the factory, I'd recommend sending your Dremel tools in for warranty repair. I had my Model 395 back in a week from the time I shipped it out. Dremel claims a two-day repair turnaround.