Thread: Folding Rule Recommendations

Folding Rule Recommendations

Does anyone have a recommendation on a folding rule? I was going to get the Lee Valley, but it is no longer offered. Preferable one with a brass extension on both ends for checking inside dimensions (for square of drawers or cabinets).

Would like to get an older one, but leads to inherent risk with accuracy, etc...

I have an inside rule that I bought about 25 to30 years ago. I spent years looking for another and finally found one at a tool store here in So Cal. I know you can them online but I always checked whenever in a wood store. I retired my old one to the shelf with my old steel Skill saws.

Believe it or not, Home Depot has them for about 13 bucks. Brass extension on one end only made by Lufkin.
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

Lufkin is the way to go - I love mine.

I did have a rather scary moment with mine though. Turns out I was using it to measure pieces of wood on my CMS. I had it laying across the throat in front of the wood I was cutting to make sure I had the right measurement. I was happy and ready to cut after I got the measurement right. Turns out the blade didn't like that I did that. It destroyed the end that had the brass extension. To this day, I have never found the brass extension.

For $13, I was happy that was the only thing that was damaged!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Drosas View Post
    Believe it or not, Home Depot has them for about 13 bucks. Brass extension on one end only made by Lufkin.
    +1 on the Lufkin from HD

Lufkin I guess. the only ones I have seen only have one extension. I prefer a steel tape but to each his own. I worked with an old timer years ago and a folding rule was all he used. He was the lead man and I was the cutter. He would yell out a measurement like "six foot 27 inches". Try to figure that one in your head using a tape. I thought it was slow and not real accurate.

Fred