Thread: Router lift thoughts / questions….

Router lift thoughts / questions….

I am currently using a Hitachi M12V in my router table. I built Norm’s table many years ago. Back then, my knees didn’t hurt and I’ve had a couple back injuries since then. In short, kneeling isn’t something I care to do any more…. I’ve decided to go with a lift. After searching this forum and internet, it looks as if Woodpecker, Bench Dog, JessEm, Jointech and Incra are the most commonly referred lifts for router tables.

If I keep my M12V, my options are limited. Unless there are other lift available I haven't missed, the Woodpecker Unilift and Plunge Lift are my only options. I have a strong preference for the Unilift over the Plunge lift.

I find the digital read out of the Smartlift something I think I would like. I also like the Incra lifts, primarily because of the magnetic inserts. Neither of these two lifts will work with my M12V.

So now I’m considering buying a fixed base router and either the Smartlift or one of the Incra lifts (Woodpecker or JessEm).

The two favorite routers appear to be the PC 7518 and the Milwaukee 5625. It looks like both are about $300.

Is there any compelling reason to go with a fixed based router with a lift over what I have now? If I buy the Unilift, will I be wishing I would have just bit the bullet and bought the 7518 and Smartlift or Incra? I guess I’m just looking for input from this collective group who have recently gone through this thought process to cover my bases and consider the options.

Micheal.. you should get hold of Jessem.. they have a Milwaukee / Jessem router with a remote control set - up .. They sell it direct..

Its the big Milwaukee router..

Blog Entries
    The M12V is a nice unit and very well liked. The thick base (great for plunging) will rob you of collet access one table mounted although you can get around this with bent wrenches. To see what I mean, stand your router on its head, plunge all the way, add the thickness of the Unilift plate and imagine wrenching your collet from above the table. If this is doable in a fashion you're OK with, forge ahead.

I run a 5625 in a Woodpecker PRL. Couldn't be happier but, there are several really well liked combinations.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Micheal.. you should get hold of Jessem.. they have a Milwaukee / Jessem router with a remote control set - up .. They sell it direct..

Its the big Milwaukee router..
    Thanks for the tip. Is $400 a good price for the motor and remote?

I too have a MV12, but recently I started drooling over the PRL-V2, so I got it while on sale at woodpeckers and I picked up a Milwaukee 5625 for 271 on Amazon but since I had $250.00 in free Amazon Gift cards (Slight Gloat) it was only $21 & change out of pocket.

Planning on using the Hitatchi When I get a Leigh FMT

Greg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Is $400 a good price for the motor and remote?
    Not in my opinion. It is a clean setup as they move the power and variable speed to the control box. The only gain over any other remote switch is that you would have to reach under the table to change speeds. The 5625 is such a locomotive that the only time I change speeds is when I run a bit over 2" so this is a "few and far between for me".

5625 street price = $275
    Rockler remote switch with large paddle STOP feature = $25-$30

Spend the extra $100 on wood ;-) JMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My router table has a paddle switch and a remote dial attached.. so I dont really Jessem set-up.. but its a nice set up..

Does the fixed based router / lift combo have a distinct advantage over a plunge router and lift, other than what was mentioned with regards to not having the collet above the table? Are they more stable?

Adding a lift to the plunge router adds more potential points of failure or at least complexity to the set up. Plunges were designed to be used out of the table, but a lot of people use them that way.

I had a Freud plunge router on a plate in the table but am moving to a woodpecker lift with PC 7518.

Happy New Year. Bill

Thanks.

I think I’m going to just bight the bullet and swap my router out with the PC or Milwaukee. Both look to be great routers. I was using the router table yesterday and was thinking to myself just how nice it would be to have an accurate digital bit height read out. The Jointech Smart lift is calling to me…..

I did a search on this sight for the Smartlift and did not come up with much other than this old thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19881&highlight=smartlift

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the Smartlift?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I run a 5625 in a Woodpecker PRL. Couldn't be happier but, there are several really well liked combinations.
    One question: why use a PRL on the 5625? Doesn't this router support above table adjustments with a T handle wrench?
    Thanks!
    Salem

Too many failed attempts to contact Jointech has convinced me to drop that lift off my shopping list. I called Woodpecker today to get some more info on their lifts. Next week they will be selling the PC 7518 router motor without the base. Pricing isn’t firm yet, but was told $300 for the motor. They are also going to sell this motor with their V2 lift as a package. They should have pricing on their web sight next week.

So, if anyone is currently pondering a lift and router combination, you might want to want a week to see what Woopeckers decides to sell the lift / router package for.

I am not sure about the M12V, but if it is like the M12V2 it has above table height adjustment "built-in".

When you remove the plastic base (like you would when installing a router table plate) there is a nut on the bottom of the height adjustment. Simply drill a hole in your router plate, use a socket to adjust that nut from above and VOILA above table adjustment.

Definitely be worth a look...