Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do not try this at home.-Lathe

Do not try this at home.-Lathe

Let me start by telling you not to try this. This hunk of tree is 10 1/2 inches Square and is way to big for my little Delta 46-715. I will have to start at one end and work my way across the log because it will not even clear the tool rest.This is going to take a couple of days to get done because I have several other things going on at the same time. Just in case you are curious this will be the pedestal for a fern stand. The top and bottom will be made out of Cedar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

That poor lathe

Gary

Not over working it a bit, are you?

Ted

Gary, be careful. The size and weight of that blank may require slower speeds than your lathe can deliver. And be sure to get several hundred pounds of sand bags on the base of your machine to help keep it "near" one place. If you know someone locally that has a larger, heavier lathe, see if you can at least smooth this out on that machine before proceeding. My safety bells are ringing loudly...and I appologize if I'm shouting too loud on this, but...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim ----------the trick is weight.
    That is Kentucky Coffee Wood.
    Verrrrrry light

That is so wrong!

Not to wish nuttin bad on ya Gary............but better you than me!

Just get some weight on the lathe, like Jim mentioned and above all else...................BE CAREFUL!

That piece have the pith in it?

If so, what did you do to prevent it from cracking.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

How the heck do you turn it down if you can't use the tool rest? Are you using the lathe bed to ground your tools? Looks pretty funky to me.

Jack

I'd wrestle it through the bandsaw and remove as much meat as possible. Scary stuff...please do be careful....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Sorry if I caused you folks any worry----I do this all the time.
    Since I am useing it as a pedestal I am not concerned about what I do to the ends. There are 8 ----four inch screws through the face plate. The live center has been replaced with a very heavy live center.
    I worked a little overtime tonight to show you how it turns out.
    Still a lot of sanding to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool, Gary! Is this coffee-wood pretty stable? I like the little character there (bark inclusion?) in the bottom pic.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom
    How the heck do you turn it down if you can't use the tool rest? Are you using the lathe bed to ground your tools? Looks pretty funky to me.

Jack
    Jack I am just starting at one end and remove enough for the rest to travel.

Chris --it is so punky that I would almost not call it wood. It is the unofflicial state tree of Kentucky. This tree fell over down the road from my house and I thought I would put it to use. ain't any good for fire wood. I turned a few bowls but did not like them. This monster will be the best thing I have made out of Kentucky Coffee Wood. I did turn a lamp the came out nice

Looking good

Reminds me of the time about fifteen years ago I came home to the shop to find this huge mess in my old shop.
    Seems a buddy of mine came over to borrow the lathe, to turn a vessel from a chunk of walnut about as big as yours, but shorter. It vibrated so bad there was stuff that fell off the upper shelves, [I had the lathe mounted to a wall bench], and He had broken the 12" tool rest off at the round post.
    Seems He caught the gouge when He was attempting to round it up.
    He later had the rest fixed for me, and came over with it to turn some more. I politely told him the motor was fried, and no longer worked.
    He ended up buying his own lathe.

Here's an alternative to safely turn something down without a tool rest.

For a hunk that big, just make a bigger box and use a #8.

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 10-13-2004 at 9:39 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff