Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: festool domino thoughts

festool domino thoughts

Hey all. New to the forum and figured this might be a good first post. I am looking into purchasing the domino and would like some opinions. I am thinking the 500 might be the better fit for me and my shop.This would be my first festool product so I'm a little nervous to drop the 1400 bucks for the dust extractor and domino.Thanks in advance!

KC

i can't comment on the domino but i do have a festool sander and router that I use along with a festool vacuum. their power tools are specifically made to be used together with their vac's and they are made very well to do just that. other vac's will work, but I doubt they are as high quality, well engineered, long lasting, etc, etc. as the festool.

it's simple, festools do a fantastic job extracting dust/waste and they are incredibly high quality products that are noticeably better than competitors (relax, just my opinion) and worth every penny they cost.

i'd say get the vac and domino and if you don't think it's worth it, I think you can return one or the other or both and get your money back. warning: check the exact details of the return policy but last time i checked it was festool policy to let you give it back with 30 days and get your dough back.

i was skeptical of the value proposition of their products when i first heard of them until i used them. yes, they're expensive, IMO they're worth it and they make my hobby more enjoyable. whether or not you think so is up to you. try them, you may really love the products.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Behnke View Post
    i can't comment on the domino but i do have a festool sander and router that I use along with a festool vacuum. their power tools are specifically made to be used together with their vac's and they are made very well to do just that. other vac's will work, but I doubt they are as high quality, well engineered, long lasting, etc, etc. as the festool.
    I had a Festool vacuum but got rid of it. My Dyson canister with a dust deputy is much better. Each to his own.

But to address the OP...
    The domino is a fantastic machine. I have certainly used it enough to justify the price, but it really depends on what you will be doing with it and your budget. I mainly use 5 and 8mm dominos, so I doubt I would have much need for the big one. But you might.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 04-18-2013 at 8:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I had a Festool vacuum but got rid of it. My Dyson canister with a dust deputy is much better. Each to his own.
    I can see how a dust deputy on a vac would be fantastic. the cyclone method of dust collection is great (i have a 3.5 hp cyclone in my shop). i would love to try one of those dust deputy set-ups if one of my friends ever has one, they look very interesting....the biggest thing holding me back is what i perceive (may not be true though) as the awkwardness and size of those set up compared to the relative ease of a festool vac. but i've seen some guys set up their dust deputy to a shop vac so that it's a pretty slick, easy to move around unit. can you post of pic of yours?

and my festool vac is used just for duct collection on my festools, i do regular cleanup with a rigid wet-dry vac.

The Domino is a very good machine and I find new uses for it every project. However, you don't need a Festool vac. I have mine connected to a Ridgid vac and it works fine. For the Domino all you need is to get the swarf out of the mortise - no finesse, just lots of vacuum. You can buy a Festool hose (expensive) and it will plug into your shop vac just fine and will fit the Domino.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Casey,
    I am a hobby woodworker and had the same hesitation when I deciding whether to drink the green kool-aid. I eased my plunge by purchasing some items used. My Domino is one of the tools I use the most.

Blog Entries
    Casey, Domino is great. Really the only way to make joint connections as far as I am concerned. So easy to use. The smaller one (which I believe we are talking about) can make very strong joints by doubling up if necessary. I made a outdoor bench which two +300# people sat on with no problem. However by the time you buy the loose tenant package which is about $300.00, you are going to send well over $1,200.00 alone for the mortiser package.

I know noting about Festools vacumms other than they are expensive and maybe over priced for what you get.

Blog Entries
    Just read Mike Henderson's post, you can also use a Porter Cable hose with a Fein "over" type fitting; total about $22.00.

You can also buy just the Festool fitting end which also fits on the Porter Cable type hose. I think I paid less than $20.00 for the Festool fitting.

I added a 2 1/4" end to my Porter Cable size hose and use it with a Shop Vac.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Behnke View Post
    I can see how a dust deputy on a vac would be fantastic. the cyclone method of dust collection is great (i have a 3.5 hp cyclone in my shop). i would love to try one of those dust deputy set-ups if one of my friends ever has one, they look very interesting....the biggest thing holding me back is what i perceive (may not be true though) as the awkwardness and size of those set up compared to the relative ease of a festool vac. but i've seen some guys set up their dust deputy to a shop vac so that it's a pretty slick, easy to move around unit. can you post of pic of yours?
    dyson
    and my festool vac is used just for duct collection on my festools, i do regular cleanup with a rigid wet-dry vac.
    I don't move mine. I have the dd on the floor and the dyson on a shelf above it. I have one of the rigid vacuum line kits from HD and have one line going to my SCMS and a second line with a long hose on it. The hose attaches to sanders or the domino, or to the dyson floor attachment for cleaning up. I expect the long hoses cost some suction, but the dyson is sufficiently powerful that it stll works well.

I have had my domino and fs vac for about 3 years. Could be some of the best money that I ever spent. If you have been using biscuits, you will be amazed at the huge improvement in strength and especially, precision. Unless you plan on making entrance doors, the smaller one will probably do everything you need do.

Red face

I have couple festool vacs, could get by without them but only way will ever get my domino is at my estate auction..,...i
    Last edited by eugene thomas; 04-18-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've had a Domino for years, use it all the time. I can say you will save more than enough money to justify your purchase. It's an incredible tool. Be careful though, it's a slippery slope. I own sanders, jug saws, TS saws, a Kapex and more. Every tool I own from them is top notch and a justifiable investment.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

$ 1,261.50 delivered for the Domino 500 and a Midi which is more than a great combo http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/d...di/p/PD574332/

The Domino is an excellent tool in soooo many respects. Just search the threads for how much you can do with it. Yes it could be hooked up to other dust collectors but if you don't already own a good vac the Midi is an excellent choice and can easily accept your TS 55 track saw or ETS or RO sanders or whatever other Festool you might later decide to purchase.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I'd get the Domino 500 unless you're planning on building entry doors or something else that requires large tenons. The tenon assortment will provide the flexibility for different sized material but may not be necessary. We generally work in 3/4 stock so the 6x40mm size is what I reach for most of the time. I'm actually using some 5x30mm tenons on a project tomorrow and have used the 8's and 10's on occasion.

You do not need variable suction for a Domino and a Shop-Vac will work just fine.

There is an adapter that fits it sold by Industrial Vacs dot com for $11.98 - Product Code H302000535 that will allow you to use a 1.5-inch hose (which is very close to the Festool 36mm hose). Be sure to email them and get an adjusted shipping quote for delivery via U.S. first class mail. Their online system doesn't offer this option and shipping costs more than the part. You can get a 1.5-inch hose from Shop-Vac or Mr. Nozzle.

Another idea is to get a Festool 27mm hose end (Part# 487071) for $20 and put it on the end of a 1.25-inch hose. That's what I did when I bought a Fein Turbo II to use with my Festool sanders. I know it's blasphemy but I'm still a little bit of a rebel.

I have the Domino and a Festool and Fein vac. The domino is great. Both Vacs are good, but I actually slightly prefer the Fein because the sound, while at a similar level as the Festool, is at a lower, less annoying frequency. A Mr Nozzle hose on the Fein connects easily to almost anything and is a larger diameter than the stock Festool.