Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Office Desk - made of Walnut

Wow, that's terrific. You have some real talent.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Office Desk - made of Walnut

I bought some walnut last August near Niagra Fall, unexpectedly, I found these are highly figured.

Since moved to the new house, I didn't buy office desk, instead try to make one myself. I started this project earlier 2008, stoped in summer and picked up in winter, finished before christmas 2008. This is also the first time I am using Lathe, it is easier than I though. I learned a technique that in order to make columns, I glue two piece with new paper - yes, news paper - so it can be easily split after turning.

Then make the groove on the router table.

After that, I spent a lots time on selecting the figured pieces for the siding, as these figures are in the middle of wood, I don't want to waste any, here are what I deicide to use:

The construction for the siding are dowel join and biscuit join, I tried to make accuracy within 0.3 mm, however the summer is so wet, the basement had moisture over 70 before I put dehummidifier in, the wood movement screwed me:

The drawers are through dovetail with 3/4 walnut front and hard maple side/back/bottom. They are heavy - the upper two drawers are about 20 pbl each, and the lower one is about 30 pbl.

The back are constructed of rail & stile.

I also made the key board support like a drawer looking, it works very well:

The finish are 4 layers Lee Valley clear danish oil with beeswax buff out.

The assembling is time consuming, I spent the whole afternoon with my wife's help.

Last thing, I should improve the photographical skill, I know the pictures below are over exposure, but don't know how to fix it. I like to take the picture in the sunny day, but the weather forcast tell me I should expect this week.

WOW Thats gorgeous!
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Desk

Zhi,one word AWESOME.I'm saying it out load so everyone here can hear me.----Carroll

Tht is some really nice work.

Very nice!

Zhi,
    That is very well done indeed!! The wood is very nice and the craftsmanship is excellent.
    You will enjoy using that desk.

Jim

Well Done!

Great job on the desk. And, the photos of the build and the finished project convey the thought you gave to the details.

Blog Entries
    Very beautiful. I just love walnut and it is getting so expensive out here ;-(. What was your source for the hardware? The match is really nice.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

very classy, excellent work.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Wow, that is very nice. I really like the little columns. I am interested in how you did those. The picture just doesn't tell me enough.

Very nice work.

I especially love how you resawed and book matched the walnut on the end. That is a great look.

Toney

pleasepleaseplease tell me that you just HATE it and need someone to take it off your hands. I've got three or four computers that would just LOVE to call that desk their home.

xeddog

Great Job on a one-of-a-kind desk Zhi! Walnut is one of the classiest woods! I Love the Stuff!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Very, very nice!!! Love that walnut!!!
    Jerry