Thread: Vera Wood

Vera Wood

Using vera wood first time for project. Noticed while sanding with 320 that paper gums up very quickly. After using a scraper to produce a shiny surface, the next day it looked dull. I suspect that this wood is highly resinous like cocobolo and may not hold a finish well. Anyone with any knowledge about this wood would be welcome. I plan to spray varnish but I know what can happen with some resinous woods: the varnish never cures.

it is very oily very close to lignum vitae. though it smells great. you would need to seal it with shellac or a water based finish first. I never tried finishing it I used it for plane soles.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I did a test with varnish on vera. DISASTER! the wood turns black! But water base works fine but changes the color an olive greenish cast. This wood sucks, no wonder you don't hear much about it. Beautiful when first cut, but that's it.

it smells great when cut. I use it for the oiliness it does not have too much other use. well for durability and such. a deck of it would last pat forever.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Yes, I would imagine its highly rot resistant and would make good friction blocks, drawer slides, etc. You should see this stuff when you burn it, the resin just boils out in amazing amounts.