Thread: reach in to built in conversion

reach in to built in conversion

I'm planning on converting the 'reach in' closet with sliding doors in my kids room to a built in like in the pic.

My plan was to remove the drywall so I could more easily attach everything to the studs. Can anyone think of a reason I should not do that beside the extra work and mess?

Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do

That looks like a very nice project. I remove the sheet rock since I really want to know what is behind it. Some closets do not have wood panel backers and use the existing wallboard, but my opinion is that wallboard is not easy to clean and tends to get bashed in by careless kids. I am not a big fan of sandwich jobs. I was a volunteer fireman and had to rip out too many sandwich walls.

The other issue is that all outlets, plumbing, fixtures etc. are based upon one wall thick. If you leave the old wall in place you may have to deal with the thickness issue some time down the road. While you may consider the closet an unlikely place for fixtures, you do not know what is coming down the road or what new marvelous invention is ahead.

BTW: I am finishing a bathroom remodel, and I would love to strangle the last guy that "worked" on the room originally. However I am sure it was just a kid that got some tools for Christmas and mom kept him busy by building the bathroom. Not one single wall is square! Drains exit the wall 2" above the floor and protrude into the room 20" then go down into the concrete floor. It was covered up with a bad cabinet built in place. The plumbing had no blocking to brace it, or even strapping to hold it in place. I wanted to recess the medicine cabinet but the plumbing comes down the wall from above not below. My point is remove the wallboard, and be ready for strange things, and remember you may have to deal with the creation somewhere down the road.

Just my 2 cents worth, Good luck and I'll bet it looks great when finished.

Phil

No suggestions, but that's an awesome idea. Might have to rethink our (very) long-term idea of gutting our laundry room, 1/2 bath, and closet and reconfiguring it to get a walk-in with the laundry right in the closet.