Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Been tinkering again-vise build

The tutorial might take a day or two longer. Work is getting in the way of the fun stuff.

Jim,

I modified the bottom to make it easier to use. Will post a picture later on.

George,

Yup. You got it. I was trying something a little different on this screw. I actually have an idea for it later on, once I build the real leg vise. (Involves Marbles and children, so the round bottom and smoother edges were a must.)
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Evans View Post
    ... I was working feverishly at odd hours with limited stock, and had to make due with reclaimed scraps I had laying about...
    That sounds like my normal working environment.
    -Brian

(Involves Marbles and children, so the round bottom and smoother edges were a must.)[/QUOTE]

Sound like "ballbearing" to me... I can't wait to see the result!

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    (Involves Marbles and children, so the round bottom and smoother edges were a must.)
    Sound like "ballbearing" to me... I can't wait to see the result![/QUOTE]

That or something more basic....put his kids under the bench with thier toys and when he needs the bottom peg moved, have them do it.

Ok, Work has really picked up. I have everything set and ready to go to do the walk-though, and I get slammed.

A good thing, since the dreaded tax time is upon us, and the last few months have been so slow, but. . .

So, it is on hold till I get a few hours during the day. I can start ya'll out though.

Step #1. Beg, Borrow, Buy or Turn a round blank a hair larger than you want your screw.

Step #2. Locate good straight grained stock the same thickness as your screw diameter, or thicker.

Step #3. Make sure you have two good drill bits. One needs to be the desired finish diameter of your screw. The other needs to be smaller by 1/8 -1/4 (1/16 for really small screws, 1/8 for 1 1/4" or under, and 3/16-1/4 for anything over 1 1/2")

If you get those three things done, you are 1/4 of the way there.

And the other 3/4 of the story is?

Ok, Work has really picked up. I have everything set and ready to go to do the walk-though, and I get slammed.

A good thing, since the dreaded tax time is upon us, and the last few months have been so slow, but. . .

So, it is on hold till I get a few hours during the day. I can start ya'll out though.

Josh, Figured I would just let people know what to have ready for the walk through if they want to follow. I can do a write up, but I have a hard time with explaining the process without the pictures to illustrate.Kind of like marking trim pieces to cut off a door frame, rather than using a tape. It is easy to tell a cut-man over the phone to cut a piece 81 5/32", but Kind of useless to tell a guy to cut to a mark he can't see. . .

Blog Entries
    Step #3. Make sure you have two good drill bits. One needs to be the desired finish diameter of your screw.
    So, if the screw diameter is going to be 2 inches you need a 2 inch bit?

Is this for the hole for the nut?

Can a hole saw or an expansion bit do the job?

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Josh, Figured I would just let people know what to have ready for the walk through if they want to follow. I can do a write up, but I have a hard time with explaining the process without the pictures to illustrate.Kind of like marking trim pieces to cut off a door frame, rather than using a tape. It is easy to tell a cut-man over the phone to cut a piece 81 5/32", but Kind of useless to tell a guy to cut to a mark he can't see. . .
    I've got my wood and drill bits....and am ready to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    So, if the screw diameter is going to be 2 inches you need a 2 inch bit?

Is this for the hole for the nut?

Can a hole saw or an expansion bit do the job?

jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    I've got my wood and drill bits....and am ready to start.

Jim,

Yep, if you are doing a 2" screw, you need a 2" bit, and a 1 3/4" bit. The 2" bit is for the movable jaw, mainly, and the 1 3/4" is for the nut. Holesaw or expansion bit should work, though I have had difficulties with expansion bits that large. I think mine are threaded fine, and have been stripping out in the maple I was using.

I forgot to add the picture of the adjustment at the bottom. Here it is. I made it a lot larger so I could kick it rather than bend down. I think I will modify it further in the final vise build, octagonal or ships wheel. . .

Josh,

You and me both. And I have the camera ready to go too. But, I live in a town house, with a very thin concrete wall separating my noise from the neighbors. So, unless I get the time during the day, I get really limited in what I can do. I was lucky when I did the first one. They went on vacation, and I was able to make noise to my hearts content.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Evans; 01-14-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: added picture

Harry Starsil Jr, have a "ship weel" type at the botom of his vise.

I forgot to add the picture of the adjustment at the bottom. Here it is. I made it a lot larger so I could kick it rather than bend down. I think I will modify it further in the final vise build, octagonal or ships wheel. . .
    Hey, I like that oversized wheel!

When I made mine, I put the parallel screw to close to the floor so it really limited how big I could make the wheel. I can still turn it with my foot, but it takes a lot of stomping.

-Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images