Thread: Honduran rosewood anyone?

Honduran rosewood anyone?

Was wondering if there is any Creekers that have worked with Honduran Rosewood (Rosita wood). I am fixing to do a project with it but have never worked with it, would appreciateany input.

I've worked with some Florida Rosewood, and found it is dense and can be brittle.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

FYI: I brought home 52 BF yesterday, and shortly afterward my arms began itching really bad, had welts on my arms and a rash,, still itching this morning. After doing some research today, I found out that this wood can cause a strong reaction to some people,, I just worked with Walnut recently with no problem, but I guess I'm allergic to this particular species. Initally I was going to purchase Honduran Mahogany, but due to $, decided to go with Honduran Rosewood, BIG mistake.

Don't feel bad. I have a fair amount of gorgeous cocobolo, that I gave real good money for, that I can't even look at without breaking out.

Quote Originally Posted by denis tuomey View Post
    FYI: I brought home 52 BF yesterday, and shortly afterward my arms began itching really bad, had welts on my arms and a rash,, still itching this morning.

If you had that reaction carrying it, beware of the reaction if you breath any in while working with it.

Denis and Jeff, you both have some seriously great wood. If it is causing a problem, sell it for your cost and get some stuff that will be more fun to work with.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I use Honduras rosewood quite a bit and have no problem with it. Extremely hard and dense. Comes in a a range of colors but the nicest has a blueish cast. Its great fun trying to run a plane over it, dulls the blade in a heartbeat but is truly gorgeous when finished properly. Takes all types of finish well.

Beware that there is quite a bit being sold as Honduras rosewood of the Dalbergia family that is not. The real stuff is very fine grained but if you see large, open grain wood, it is not Dalbergia. It is so hard that it should ring when tapped with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    Don't feel bad. I have a fair amount of gorgeous cocobolo, that I gave real good money for, that I can't even look at without breaking out.

Want to sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Rabbett View Post
    Want to sell it?
    I think not. Every couple of years I get to thinking that I could turn a small bowl, or some such. I'm currently scouring the surplus stores for some sort of NBC suit that I could wear so that I can work some of it. Or I could git up off of my lazy butt, and drag the mini lathe outside. At any rate, it's not a huge amount-one chunk, approx. 4-5 bf, and a handfull of 2" turning squares.