Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosscut Sled Slight Rack

Crosscut Sled Slight Rack

Good Sunday Morning All,

I'm nearing the completion of my (first) crosscut sled. 1/2" BB ply laminated on both sides with two hardwood runners. I have the rear fence (away from the operator) on and the runners on.

My issue; until the runners are fully engaged in the miter slots (the sled fully covering the table) there is a very slight angular racking of the sled. My concern is that although the racking is very slight now, as the runners wear the slop will become worse.

I'd like to address the issue (if it needs to be addressed) before I make my first cut. Should I reattach the runners?

Thanks!

If I understand your racking issue correctly, it is that one peice is shifting independent of the other? This is what I did to correct the issue. You will see that the rear fence is a peice of 3/4 ply laminated to the sled. This provide more stiffness to keep the two halves from shifting.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1262417714

What are you using for your runners. I use hickory, for the cost it is very hard. I very slowly sneek up on the fit with my planer. You can always use a bar sander to loosen them up later if they end up too tight. My sled slides with no binding even if I push it from the far right side.

Thanks for the response Glen. To clarify; I haven't split the sled yet. The racking happens with the sled as one piece. If the runners aren't fully engaged in the slots I can shift the hole sled very slightly side to side in the slots.

it sounds like your runners are too loose. You should fix the problem now.

I've seen a nice hardwood runner setup with a few cone shaped holes drilled along the bottom length of each. Then a set screw was installed into each cone shaped hole to adjust for any slop developed over time.

I don't like wood rails, I know there are a lot of people that do but I just found they gave me problems. When the humidity was up they were nice and tight when it was dry they were a little loose.

I bought a set of Incra and they are great, I have had them now for over a year and they are always tight and have never been sloppy at all.

http://www.incra.com/product_jfc_miterslider.htm

Oh, I forgot to mention. I saw a sweet setup using ball bearings that run along the miter slot. It looks like it would resolve any problems with slop. He also had the nicest crosscut sled I have ever seen along with some instructions for those without sleds. Search for "Precision Puzzlemaking Primer."

Cross-cut sled

If you can locate which part of which runner is the "loose" culprit, you can put tiny screws in that sides about every 3-4". Just leave a few thousands of the head of the screw protrude from the runner. You might need to round the sharp edges of flathead screws, but I'd go for round or oval headed screws. Personally, I use the nylon runners.

A couple of years ago I went to a metal supply and bought (among other things) a 12' piece of 3/8" x 3/4" aluminum flat bar. Great stuff for runners. At the time it cost me less than $20.

xeddog

This is why making sleds in two halfs and then connecting them makes sense.

When you connect them, you pull them snug so both runners ride the inside edge of the miter slot. No more play.

I agree with Bill Huber. I prefer metal runners...actually I like Kreg's more than Incra's.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Very interesting responses, thanks! I like the idea of adding screws to the existing runners but I think I'm leaning towards picking up the Incra (or Kreg). One thing I've noticed is that the Incra are only available in a maximum of 24" lengths. I've made the base of my sled the exact width of my JPS10 Jet contractors saw (26"). If I center the runners this will leave an inch on either side. I don't see that being a huge issue, just a slight reduction in cutting capacity. Any thoughts as to whether I should cut the base down to 24" wide to match the runners?
    Last edited by Charlie Gummer; 01-03-2010 at 9:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    This is why making sleds in two halfs and then connecting them makes sense.

When you connect them, you pull them snug so both runners ride the inside edge of the miter slot. No more play.
    Phil - can you detail a little more the process of building it in two sections and how you them join them? Do you plan for the zero clearance slot or just cut that when the two pieces are together?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    it sounds like your runners are too loose. You should fix the problem now.
    I'm with the other Glen, fix it now. I have sleds with oak, UHMW and adjustable aluminum runners. All word well and have remained stable. I am in the foothill basin area of SoCal so I have minimal humidity swings.

All that aside, fix the runners. I set my positions by putting double stick tape on the runners, elevating the runners in the miter slots (I start with a really tight fit) by placing thin strips of wood under them. I then referenced the sled-bed against the fence and lowered it onto the runners. Once stuck in place I apply the screws. I used a card scraper to tune the oak and UHMW runners. The Incra aluminum runners use wedges and screws to expand the bar.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-04-2010 at 8:08 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have not seen a metal bar that I like. The best ones I saw had two points one front one back that you could adjust a brass glide that snugged up the track. The problem is that when one of those glides leaves the miter slot, as they usually do on a crosscut sled, then the sled slops. And they don't make metal runners long enough.