Thread: Calling all Grizzly G0690/691 owners

Calling all Grizzly G0690/691 owners

I'm curious if any of you have run into this. In setting up my new saw, when I got to the page on the riving knife adjustments (that was fun, huh??), it says the top of it should be 2-5mm below the top of the blade. Mine is about 5.5mm below, but I don't see any adjustment for this in the owners manual. Have any of you had to adjust for this, or were yours on from the factory? I thought if someone knew, I could work on that today when I'm under the hood adjusting the 90 degree stop. I've already emailed tech services to see if there is an adjustment. It's not enough to make a difference, just has me curious. Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

just got back from vacation, Jim so I don't know yet, but will look for you tomorrow if you don't get an answer. btw, did you get the gold one or the plain metal one? I like the gold one by my saw came with the plain one.

Mine is the plain one also. That gold anodized one does look sweet. Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

You said the tolerance is 2 - 5 mm and your riving knife is at 5.5 mm. Sounds like you are pretty close to tolerance. The difference of a couple millimeters is pretty small anyways. I did not measure mine, I just made sure it was below the top of the blade. A half millimeter shouldn't cause you any problems. I don't think there is any up and down adjustment to it if you have it locked in place with the pin. Don't lose any sleep over this.

Enjoy your new saw!

Oh no, believe me I'm not. It is just more of a curiosity than anything. Usually when you are given a spec that something should be in, then there is a way to change it. Looking at the machine, and looking at the owners manual, I don't see how to do it, unless you take apart the gear mechanism that moves the riving knife and change one tooth. I don't think I'd want to go there!! But I'm interested in the mechanics that does move it. Jim.

Jim, I don't know about the 0690, but on my G0605X the riving knive has a slot in the lower end that allows the knife to be either adjusted or removed. All that I have to do is to loosen up the hold down bolt slightly, and the knife itself will slide upward.

The 690 and 691 have a retracting pin that goes through a hole in the riving knife. Once it is in place, I don't think there is anyway to adjust it up or down. At least I didn't see anything about being able to adjust it up or down, just side to side to line it up.

Scott, thanks for the note. The mechanisms are different. The 690/691 has a quick release for the riving knife. Mine is different from the manual, but there is a spring loaded "knob" of sorts that you pull back. This pulls a pawl out of the knife that locks it in place. Then you pull the knife up and out. The knife can be pulled out without pulling the throat plate insert out. Really quick and easy!
    It is possible that this mechanism can be adjusted up and down, and I just can't see how it's done. I emailed tech services earlier today. Maybe that will shed some light on the subject. I'll post back when I find out tomorrow. Jim.

Just from memory- but doesn't it sort of "rotate" as the blade is raised/lowered? If so, it's possible that the measurement will change with blade height. Then again I'm often wrong..

Bob, the 690/691 riving knife is on a geared arm so that the knife to blade distance stays the same. I guess it could change ever so slightly, but probably not much if at all. Hard to say how exact the gearing makes it. Jim.

11. I never measured mine before and never had any problem with it. But, since you ask, mine appears to be a hair shy of 2 mm. (FWIW, I have the gold version).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stiegler View Post
    I never measured mine before and never had any problem with it. But, since you ask, mine appears to be a hair shy of 2 mm. (FWIW, I have the gold version).
    Now we know...the gold anodizing process adds 3 mm of height to the knife!!!! Interesting that there is some differences. Thanks for the post! Jim.

What do think of the RK setup on the new G1023R's?

I got my 2010 Griz catalog in the mail today. Let me go look......Hard to tell for sure, but the splitter with the guard looks to be the same as the 690/691, so I'm guessing it is the same RK quick release. Mine is very easy to use. I do need to lube it so it slides a little easier, but it is nice.
    I got the form reply to my email about the height adjustment. I should hear from them tomorrow on what is involved. I'm off to find my other thread and update with my conversation with CS a few minutes ago. Jim.