Thread: Stanley spokeshave 63 replacement blade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stanley spokeshave 63 replacement blade

Hi neandertalists,

I am looking for a canadian retailer/distributor for a replacement blade used in a stanley spokeshave 63. Thank you very much.

Blog Entries
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...182,43698&ap=1

I think Lee Valley can take care of you.

I am corrected. I was thinking of the more modern shave.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-03-2010 at 9:37 PM.

The Hock Tools "Kunz style" spokeshave blade may fit in the Stanley No. 63. See: http://hocktools.com/SP.htm

I would e-mail them to verify that it will work. Hock is in the USA, but that should give you a starting point. There are a number of Hock distributors, so you might be able to find a Canadian one. I checked at Lee Valley, which carries some Hock stuff, but they don't carry the "Kunz style" blade.

Jim

63s and 64s have pretty thin irons/blades; the Hock or LV irons might well overwhelm the mouth.

I've got a 64 (flat-soled version of the 63) needing an iron, and figured I'd have to fabricate it from a no-adjuster block plane iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    63s and 64s have pretty thin irons/blades; the Hock or LV irons might well overwhelm the mouth.

I've got a 64 (flat-soled version of the 63) needing an iron, and figured I'd have to fabricate it from a no-adjuster block plane iron.
    You might be right. I just checked. The original blade is slightly under 1/16", and the Hock would be 3/32". I sort poked a corner of a Hock plane blade through the mouth of a No. 63. It fits with a little room to spare, but there is a good chance that the mouth would need to be filed open a bit. On the other hand, the thicker blade would probably chatter less. I haven't had good luck getting my No. 63 to work well (of course it could be just me ).

Jim

Thank you for your inputs,

in the meantime, I read that the #63 was not a well made tool after all. It is prone to chatter in use. So I dont think I will drop 50$can for a Hock blade if in the end the tool is a no-go. I found a Kunz distributor in montreal. I will check for a Kunz #63 replacement blade (much cheaper).

Originally, it had a sweetheart stamped blade on it (ca. 1926-1935) that came from (possibly) my great grand-father so it has a sentimental value. Unfortunately, the blade was curved and when I tried to straighten it, it snapped. That is why is just want to keep it working in memory of my ancestors.

Thanx to all for your posts

Hi,

first of all: You are talking about the #53 and #54, aren't you?

I have an old Stanley #54 and a younger Record #53. The Hock blade fits both.

Cheers Pedder

No, I have a stanley 63 with a rounded sole.

The#63 is a great tool don't let anybody kid you, mine is fine.Look around for a stanley blade that is wide enough and grind to fit.Take you time and don't burn it.As far as chatter,I can make all mine chatter.When I do a project using spokeshaves,planes,scrapers,rasp,sometimes you have to use a paring or carving chisel to do the job. None of my tools have any aftermarket blades,if they make that much difference,you would see more new tools with them.I'm aware of LN&LV tools and think they are just fine.Being the low budget kinda guy I am,try to make the most of whats in the box.

Good luck/Ed

10. Quote Originally Posted by martin morissette View Post
    No, I have a stanley 63 with a rounded sole.
    Sorry, I didn't find it on patrick Leach's site, so I thought it was a typing error.

I only once bought a Kunz replacement blade and although it was cheap, it was not worth it's price.

Cheers Pedder
    Last edited by Pedder Petersen; 01-04-2010 at 4:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martin morissette View Post
    in the meantime, I read that the #63 was not a well made tool after all. It is prone to chatter in use.
    I had a Kunz version of the 63 that I gave away, because it chattered like a demented squirrel. Then, on a lark, I bought a Stanley 63. In my limited use so far (I'm currently dedicated to house refurbishing, and there's not a lot of call for a spokeshave in the work), it works really well, even without fine honing of the iron.

Since you have a family connection to the shave, and since you may be as lucky as I was, I'd spend some time, or money if need be, getting a workable iron.