Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really disappointed with Incra 1000SE

I would recommend an osborne gauge. I was choosing between the incra and a few others, and went with the osborne. I love it. it's all about what you can relate to and utilize.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Dan, I agree with you 100%, I had one for a week and sold it.

Why is the thing so bulky, you put a 3/4 inch MDF fence with sandpaper on it so things wouldn't slip and it is just so bulky it is not very pleasing to use.

Why should I have to readjust it every time I want to tilt the blade over to a 45.

Even with the screws that Glenn used they are not very easy to adjust.

I will keep the old EB-3 and love it.

I'm not crazy about mine, either.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I got a new Incra 1000SE miter gauge for Christmas, and spent today playing with it. After all the hype I've read on this forum about this gauge, I'm really disappointed.

Below are some things that really bother me about this product:

1) In order to use the extended fence, you have to loosen a hex screw with an included screwdriver. I need to go find this screwdriver every single time I want to use the fence?!

2) The rulers are not affixed - they simply slide in a channel. I think I will have to be careful not to bump the gauge and accidentally shift one of the rules.

3) The rule on the extended fence reads upside-down. Incra apparently didn't want to print a rule that read right-to-left, so they took the standard left-to-right rule and slid it in upside down. How cheap!

4) The flip stop has two independant "arms". I think it would be convenient if they were some integer value of distance apart (so I could say, "Stop 1 is at 20" and stop 2 is at 24"). Unfortunately, Incra spaced them 3 26/32" apart. Why?!

Overall, I am not even remotely impressed with the design of this product. Had I purchased it myself (not been gifted it), I'd be returning it. I anticipated this would be a highly-accurate system to allow me to miter and crosscut to precise lengths with ease (ie - not making test cuts, not measuring and marking with a tape measure first, etc); instead, this seems like a kit of parts.

I would caution people to try one of these before they buy one. Perhaps it would work for your use, but it doesn't appear to fit mine.

Some people love it and others don't. I do not have any problem with using the hex screw driver as it keeps things tight. I know that others really dislike this part. I guess this is why there are several different ones on the market. If I had to replace mine, I would buy another one.

I never use the rule as it is not accurate enough. I measure and mark each piece to get exact cuts. The stops do work very well for cutting several parts to length.

The only thing that I dislike is that I have not always been smart enough to readjust the fence after making an angle cut and have put a couple of knicks in the fence. I have read that I am not the only one to do this.

I have learned not to trust the rulers on most tools. They are mearly a guide. The tape on my table saw is always right on but I still don't trust it. I either use my tape measure which I have tested and is accurate, or the wixey on my fence. When using the saw for mutiple cuts at different lengths I use the wixey, it has never failed me. As far as the loose tapes on the miter guage. I really dont use them because I still use my tape or the stops on the guage. It is still night and day better than a stock guage.

I have the 1000SE and love it. I had a magnet with a mounting plate with a hole in it. I removed the left screw on the protracter scale and bolted the magnet there. It holds the hex driver when I'm not using it.

I use the flip stop as a single stop all the time. I really like the micro adjuster for sneaking up on a cut.

The flip stop can be mounted to allow an aux 3/4" fence to be used.

I am very happy with the 1000hd I recently got. It has been very accurate. I am constantly using it. The only disappointment is need the screwdriver but I just keep it close by so no big deal.

I got a new Incra 1000SE miter gauge for Christmas, and spent today playing with it. After all the hype I've read on this forum about this gauge, I'm really disappointed.

Below are some things that really bother me about this product:

1) In order to use the extended fence, you have to loosen a hex screw with an included screwdriver. I need to go find this screwdriver every single time I want to use the fence?!

Mine lies in the trough between the front of the saw and the front fence support bar. Perfect fit, out of the way and very convenient.

2) The rulers are not affixed - they simply slide in a channel. I think I will have to be careful not to bump the gauge and accidentally shift one of the rules.

Not a useful feature. Every time you change the miter angle or shift the fence, that dimension changes anyway. Better to use a reliable steel ruler to measure the cut.

3) The rule on the extended fence reads upside-down. Incra apparently didn't want to print a rule that read right-to-left, so they took the standard left-to-right rule and slid it in upside down. How cheap!

See above.

4) The flip stop has two independant "arms". I think it would be convenient if they were some integer value of distance apart (so I could say, "Stop 1 is at 20" and stop 2 is at 24"). Unfortunately, Incra spaced them 3 26/32" apart. Why?!

Can't speak for Incra on the why, but the flip stop has a metal rod that either ties the two arms together or can be adjusted to provide a specific offset distance between the two arms. I find that more useful than a single fixed difference.

Overall, I am not even remotely impressed with the design of this product. Had I purchased it myself (not been gifted it), I'd be returning it. I anticipated this would be a highly-accurate system to allow me to miter and crosscut to precise lengths with ease (ie - not making test cuts, not measuring and marking with a tape measure first, etc); instead, this seems like a kit of parts.

I doubt there's any product that every individual finds satisfactory. If you find it less than desirable, try converting it to cash and getting one that is a better match for your needs. Lots of gifts get returned during this part of the year.

I would caution people to try one of these before they buy one. Perhaps it would work for your use, but it doesn't appear to fit mine.

Always good advice.
    Comments interspersed above.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    HRUMFF !! You couldn't please some people if you hung 'em with a brand-new rope .. .. ..

Seriously .. the 1000SE has worked just fine for me and I've had it for several years now. It just depends on how you use it and how it works for you. Seek out a friend or fellow woodworker and ask to try his stuff .. in HIS shop, of course .. and evaluate how it would work for your applications. Nothing like a hands-on feeling for a tool before making a purchase decision.

I've got a big Exactor sliding table that has been dead on every time I've checked it, but when doing small, precision cuts, I keep going back to the 1000SE .. it just doesn't FEEL like something that big can be accurate on small, precision cuts .. but it is. It's all a state-of-mind coupled with (probably prejudiced) personal preferences.

This is my only complaint about it.

It's good that it is his way. If you want to use it on the left miter gauge or right you want to replace the ruler accordingly.

As I said, if you use it on the left miter gauge it is not upside down,
    perhaps they could put in two of these rulers...

I have tied them together and didn't feel the need to use both of them.

It's a fine piece of equipment and IMO it's well thought as well, but not everybody might like it.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    The only thing on mine that I didn't care for was the socket head screws and the need to keep the wrench handy. The handle on the wrench stripped, so I replaced both screws with ratchet-style clamps, and all is well. I have since "discovered" those little cam-style clamps from Rockler, and have been putting them on just about everything I own.

I just checked, and they have 'em on sale .. 4 clamp assemblies for about $9.00 .. .. .. your choice 1/4-20 or 5/16-18

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...602&filter=cam
    Last edited by Bob Wingard; 01-05-2010 at 1:01 AM. Reason: additional information

I have an Incra 1000SE as well.

I found this tool difficult to understand when I first purchased it but soon found many of its awkward attributes to be very useful. I'll disect some earlier posts:

Upside down ruler: mine does not have this. Call them up, they are friendly.
    Ruler moves: I wedged a tiny piece of sawdust under it and now it is stationary

Flip-stop arms: a diamond in the rough! That bar joining the two arms has lots of adjustment potential. It is very useful when you want to trim both ends of a length of lumber. I usually cut one side square with the more distant arm down and the metal rod adjust to lenght and then drop the closer arm down to make the final cut. This is especially useful when the end of the board has rough cuts and you might trim a couple inches from both ends. It is also nice when cutting shoulders for mortises.

Hex-screws: I never questioned these. In fact, I prefer them to adjusting those little knurled thumb screws. I feel like I have greater control.

Slide Extension: I calibrated the extension so that when the part containing the arms was placed on the zero (0) on the ruler of the top of the extension, the lower rule would give the proper lenght.

Angle bracket not true 90 degrees: I determined it to be about 0.1 degrees off center, but I figured it was due to my Crapsman table saw and not the guage.

Over all, the Incra 1000SE helped me bring my woodworking to a new level through improved miters.

My only issue with the 1000SE is that the fence is so slippery that the pieces being cut tend to creep along the fence while cutting--especially on angled cuts. Any ideas how to prevent the wood from moving? I put an aux fence on that has sandpaper on it to stop the movement, but as stated by someone else this eliminates being able to use the stop and makes the assembly awkward.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    I would recommend an osborne gauge. I was choosing between the incra and a few others, and went with the osborne. I love it. it's all about what you can relate to and utilize.
    +1 on the Osborne! I love mine.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I agree. That's why mine collects dust and my Woodhaven and Kreg (almost identical) get all the use.