Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw runs in reverse

What side of the saw were you standing on when this happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Tomlinson View Post
    OK this is a new one for me.
    I've got a 2-year-old Powermatic PM 2000, 3HP, wired for 220.

Today after running the saw for a while, I stopped, changed a blade, and when I went to start it back up, it ran backwards for a second and then tripped the breaker. Two more tries, including hand-spinning the blade in the proper direction, it did the same thing.

Switch? Motor? Capacitor?

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by ken gibbs View Post
    Switching the red and black hot leads worked for me on 220 power that is not phased. No such as single phase power.
    I may be confused, but not about this. There should not be a red wire on a 220V Single phase circuit. Switching the two hot leads on the line side of a 220V single phase circuit should not do ANYTHING at all.

There should be a red wire, and a black wire, and a white wire, and hopefully a green wire, on a 220V 3 phase circuit. Switching any two of the red/black/white leads WILL reverse the motor direction.

Perhaps Ken you were in the motor control block and rewired the start circuit relative to the run circuit? That would change direction on a reversible motor and might involve a white and red wire depending on your motor.

Quote Originally Posted by ken gibbs View Post
    Switching the red and black hot leads worked for me on 220 power that is not phased. No such as single phase power.
    Single phase 240 volt is your standard household feed. 3 phase is an industrial feed.
    If I switch the wires on my 240v dryer, it does not run backwards. Same with my jointer, table saw, drill press, garage heater, etc.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Tomlinson View Post
    Two things I confirmed with the Powermatic rep on the phone this AM.

One is that the original switch on the saw has insufficient overload capacity, so they are sending me a new switch [guess they figured that out after I bought mine], and

Two is that the starting capacitor is bad.

Will report back after installing the new parts just to close this thread.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Phil

Conclusion:

Installed new starter capacitor and switch.

Tablesaw is back to normal!

Thanks for all the input.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    ??? I'd put that other blade back on.... Quick!
    Now that's just funny.

Glad you got your saw fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Ken;

That only works with 3 phase power.
    Well he did say 220 volt so most likely he meant 208 three phase.

Single phase has been 120/240 volt in North America for longer then most posters here have been alive.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Single phase 240 volt is your standard household feed. 3 phase is an industrial feed.
    If I switch the wires on my 240v dryer, it does not run backwards. Same with my jointer, table saw, drill press, garage heater, etc.
    I have seen 240v motors that could be made to run backwards by changing how the incoming wiring was attached. I didn't pay much attention to them, but I think it was more involved than just changing two wires.

Home wiring color code is pretty simple white is neutral, may be missing in a 240 circuit, bare or green is ground. All other colors are hot. Normally hot is black and maybe red or blue.
    three phase... green or bare is ground. all other wires are hot. normally all just black wires going to the motor.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Well he did say 220 volt so most likely he meant 208 three phase.

Single phase has been 120/240 volt in North America for longer then most posters here have been alive.
    Bill
    Most people don't know or don't care that saying "110v" or "220v" is wrong. I might be a jerk for this but I correct people EVERY SINGLE TIME if I'm talking face-to-face with someone.

This is a 7 year old thread. Hopefully Phil solved his problem long ago.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My Davis and wells table saw has a Dayton motor single phase that can be wired to run Cw or Ccw.
    In fact it was running backwards with a very cheap miter saw blade on it when I rescued it from a Life of cutting MDF for signs.
    Im pretty sure the person wasn't thrilled about the saw running that way.Looking at the bright side of things at least the dust was shooting away from the operator.
    Heres a diagram that proves it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Some trades use regular blades installed backwards - example is vinyl siding installers. May work on mdf also. Once saw high temperature, refractory round fire brick shapes reduced in diameter by turning with the square back end of a tool bit. Sharpened end wouldn't touch it
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Some where you had a phase reversal. Was there a power outage or work recently done?
    if you have 220 3 phase then there is no run or start capacitor turn of the power and switch any two leads on the load side of the contractor.
    That should take care of the motor reversal

Blog Entries
    Guys this is a 7 year old thread........
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

Post #21, Member Kelly Hanna was given a saw and has the same problem.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....