Thread: 4 flute end mills for routing.

4 flute end mills for routing.

I have a 1/4" carbide upcut spiral bit which I like a lot and would like to know if any of you have used 4 flute carbide end mills like these below, and if so, what's your opinion of them?

I've read that some find these more stable with less chatter than the standard 2 flute router bits. They generally cost less than their 'wood' counterparts and are stronger too.

Gary,

There was a pretty informative thread recently in the CNC Forum here about using end mills in routers. Some woodworkers are not fans of using end mills for woodworking but I have been using them longer than I can remember.

Thanks Keith, I'll see if I can find it.

Just don't use the Weldon type(with flats) they can damage your collets. I've used some 4 flute in smaller sizes they seem to work very well and are usually cheaper.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    I have a 4" long end mill I use in my router. It has worked well when I have used it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

stick with 2f if you can. you can't feed the bit fast enough to keep the chipload right so the bit will overheat faster. it will work fine but a 2 flute is better. it's hard enough to feed a 2 flute fast eno9ugh on my cnc with the lower rpms. no chance at all you can do it with a regular router.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I found that 2 flute bits cut more efficiently in wood than 4; perhaps 4 flutes are more suitable for metal?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    I found that 2 flute bits cut more efficiently in wood than 4; perhaps 4 flutes are more suitable for metal?
    it's that you can't move the bit fast enough for it to cut well. the mroe flutes the faster the feed rate.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Thanks for the replies.

I should probably have stated I won't be using them in a normal 'router' fashion so it'll all be a bit hit and miss until I get my technique down. I have my little router mounted on a drillwizzard which is attached to half a cross-slide vice which is attached to my lathe so that I can plunge in while turning the chuck by hand. The cross-slide allows me to set exact widths for precise cutting. Sounds complicated but it's not really. I enjoy coming up with fun contraptions and this is one of them

I like to be able to see exactly what's going on with cutter/wood. I don't like circle jigs, especially for the small hollows I make and I'm not good at getting exact repeatability with chisels which is what I need. I generally make headphone cups so I need a bit more accuracy or things don't fit like they should. I still turn the outside of the cups normally and between the two I can get a good fit and nice look. I'll also be using it to rout plexiglass.

Can't wait until I get my new lathe with indexing as that'll really make screw and wire holes easy and accurate too.

in that case it may not matter get the cheapest ones.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

yeah, I just need a fast, clean cut so as long as the cutter is sharp it'll do. I was looking at end mills because they are relatively cheap.

If you want to plunge, you need two flute, not four flute.

the flutes are not what determines plunging it is the tip type.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

From my experience on CNC mills with metal, not wood, 4 flute endmills often times do not plunge well even if they have a tip designed for it. Two flutes often plunge much better and last longer in a plunging operation.