Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig's List ??

Craig's List ??

Has anyone used the Craig's List "Wanted" list to find free turning wood? Assume some folks would want brush and junk hauled off free, but what about logs? Just wondering.
    Richard in Wimberley

I have not used the "Wanted", but have had good luck with the "Free" section! I got a huge score of Black Walnut listed in the free section as well as some maple on another.

It just depends on the ad, but the ones I got had already but cut to 18"-24" lengths.

Yes! The free section for my city is the best, I've gotten some walnut and some maple.
    Another good source for me has been noticing trees being taken down in peoples front yards by tree services. They are only too happy to have some of their load taken away for them, and a couple of the chainsaw guys have split the log sections lengthwise through the pith for me. I have some sycamore roughed out and drying from one right now.

are you hunting for black walnut Richard??

Charlie,
    Actually I bought (aarrgh) the walnut for that segmented commission I mentioned. It sat (stickered) in the shop for a week adjusting to temp and r.h., and I started the project yesterday.

Just got to wondering about the "wanted" list. Free wood is always welcome. In immediate area we have mostly ash-juniper, oak, and the occasional hackberry. Have been gifted with some mesquite, for which I am massively grateful. Also some pecan, which does better when resawed to boards for segmenting.
    Richard in Wimberley

I had been wondering the same thing Richard. Like you around here millions of elms and cottonwood. Some ash and locust but that is about it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It's a shame that shipping is so expensive. We need a (free) way (just for woodturners) to "beam" free wood from one part of the country to another. No doubt a lot of excellent wood is burned and landfilled that could be rescued and "beamed out" to folks that could use it. But then some of us have little to trade in return. Just a thought.
    Richard in Wimberley

I've posted a Wanted ad on Craigslist, and have had a few replies but it is mostly junk trees or people wanting you to take down a huge tree directly over there house or clear their land for them :-)

I agree that the best way is to monitor the Free category for stuff already down. Also, another place to find wood is your designated landfill where people/contractors take their trees for disposal. I have one of those very close to my house and make a weekly trip there every Sat morning to see if any goodies have been left more me that week.
    Last edited by Dave Schell; 01-06-2010 at 2:27 PM.

Dave, When we get the transporter system up and running you could beam out some nice wood to Bernie and me.
    Richard in Wimberley

I been taking to a few of the tree services in town, asked them what they do with the wood, most cut it for fire wood . some take it to the locaL DUMP. I told them what Im looking for and that i will come and pick it up, some dont want to mess with it . one guy sad he would drop it off at my house. just let them know what you are looking for .
    I also trade wood with my brother-in-law in Florida we ship a box or 2 a year, things he cant get . we found out that FedEx has a rate for term to term that is cheeper then to you door price . might check that out if you want to ship to one and other.

Here in the Raleigh NC area, we are also quite fortunate that one of the members of our local woodturning club also owns a tree service company. He keeps an abundant supply of downed trees at his home and members are welcome to come by and pick up what they need.

well i am going to Mansfield Tx area sometime in march, i have to transport a desk, but i can bring some wood with me , maple black walnut cherry

i hoping to bring back some mesquite

most of what i have now is getting dry, but maybe i can find some fresh before i leave

anybody in that area or on the way??? with mesquite

I put an add for Wood on Craig's List in this area. I stated what types of wood I wanted, and added one comment that I didn't want Pecan. The only inquiry I got was someone asking me why I didn't want Pecan. I think I just wasted my time.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Craigs list

Hi Charlie,
    as luck would have it, I checked Craigs list . A man has 5 acres of the stuff. He says that some is big enough to make a tabletop.PM me and I will give you his pho.# Max

Charlie,
    Where are you coming from, to go to Mansfield? That's up there by Fote Wuth, and Wimberley is down here by Austin.

Al,
    Pecan is ok for segmenting. No end grain to cut or sand. Did you get my email with about 10 pictures?
    Richard in Wimberley