Thread: Walnut & Maple Snack Trays

Walnut & Maple Snack Trays

I saw this project in the December, 2009 / January, 2010 Issue of Wood Magazine and thought that it would make nice Christmas gifts for my wife, two daughters and my daughter-in-law. I had never before attempted to make anything without square or angled corners other than on a lathe. I thought….this would give me that opportunity to learn some new skills.

I did end up making four of these trays and used hard maple for the 1 1/2” thick middle sections of the trays and walnut on the tops and bottoms.

I have the complete build story and photos on the Projects pages of my website at: http://www.oldaveswoodshop.com/Snack...%20Project.php if you would like to read about the process that I went through making these trays (or you can see how it was done if you own a copy of the mentioned issue of Wood magazine). At any rate, I had fun and gained many blisters making the trays.

Dave
    http://www.oldaveswoodshop.com

I was looking at this as well. I am just getting started into woodworking do you think this is a doable project for a novice?

Wow. Very nice. I can think of a hundred things I could eat out of those, but they are too nice looking to put things on!

Beautiful work!

Thats going to be one of my next projects too. I saw an episode of Woodsmith Shop where they make a similar design. I recently got the bowl bit with top bearings for my router so that I could give it a shot too.

They look great! I bet they'll be cherished. Thanks for posting.

-R

I absolutely love the look... and that ain't whislin' Dixie.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Would be great in any wood, but the walnut and maple make it a really great piece!! Bet there was a bunch of sanding!!!