Thread: Bandsaw Bowls

Bandsaw Bowls

Its not often, if ever, that you hear of bandsawn bowls, but here are two I made as Christmas gifts. The pattern was out of a scrollsaw book, but my scrollsaw abilities are not so good, currently. So I just cut through each segment and then glued them back together.

The woods used are curly maple and black walnut and the finish is just mineral oil. The bowls were very well received and I have to make two more for other family members that also wanted one.

The pictures aren't great but they do show the figure of the maple. They were taken quickly before we packaged the boxes to mail them.

Robby
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is really cool. What was the book? I recently read an article with a bowl similar, but it was round. Really nice technique here.

Pretty neat idea! Those would make nice fruit bowls - would make a colorful display with some added texture.

The book is:

Title:
    Fun and Easy Scroll Saw Projects

Author:
    Patrick Spielman

I got it at the library, but it appears to be cheapest from Amazon right now. The bowl is a project pictured on the front of the book as shown in the cover linked from Rockler below.

Its definitely a technique builder on the bandsaw. I only cut the biggest 6 rings in the pattern, but 5 would look fine too. I did it with a 1/4" Olson blade and used the Carter Stabilizer. It would have been a little easier making the entrance cuts if I had a 3/16" or 1/8" blade. I actually did the glue ups with Gorilla's cyanoacrylate glue. I wish I had used an accelerator, but most glue applications dried within 5 minutes.

I *highly* recommend doing a "prototype" bowl with pine to get the technique down and a spindle sander is a must also for this project. That reminds me, I need to glue up my prototype bowl!

-R

Those look very nice. They almost look woven with the two colors waving in and out.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

They are just stacked, but they do look a little basket like. In fact, one of them was gifted to someone who deals in Longaberger baskets. I knew it would fit in with her decor!

-R

Nicely done and very interesting as I was not aware of BS bowls. Then again.. I don't get out much anymore!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I wasn't either really aware of this style of bowl either. After I make a couple more of these, I want to try out making router bowls. I bought a bowl bit with a bearing and just have to find some time to make a template and a blank.

I was just in GA (I am orgininally from there) for Christmas. Based on the projects I see here, it looks like the woodworking scene around the ATL area is doing good.

-R

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    I wasn't either really aware of this style of bowl either. After I make a couple more of these, I want to try out making router bowls. I bought a bowl bit with a bearing and just have to find some time to make a template and a blank.

I was just in GA (I am orgininally from there) for Christmas. Based on the projects I see here, it looks like the woodworking scene around the ATL area is doing good.

-R
    I got started in 1972 but it was the mid 70's when Highland Hardware opened it's doors to WW'ers when I realized just how large a WW'ing community there is in the Atlanta area Robby. In those days it was pre-dominantly southern WW'ers but with the influx of growth in Atlanta it is bascisally an international menu of them now.

So.. yeah.... WW'ing is pretty strong here!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler