Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Design disagreement

Design disagreement

The kids want to me to build them a TV stand for their new flat screen. They found a picture of what they want, and I like the lines and proportion of the piece and have agreed to do it. The piece is a bit long, it looks to be seven feet , so I asked them how long they wanted it. Well they sent me dimensions of 6 feet long, 30 inches high, and 22 inches deep.

Maybe I just being picky, but IMO the depth is way too deep and will destroy the feeling of the piece, changing it from something of grace, to something thats looks like a clunky side table rather than the TV stand I envisioned. I don't want to waste my time and money on something that will end up looking like it was made in junior high shop class.

So should I:

1. Build it like they want it?

2. Fudge a little on their dimensions to make it look better?

3. Try to talk them out of their dimensions unless they have a definite need for such a deep piece of furniture?

4. Just shut up and keep on rowing?

Has anyone else had similar problems when building for someone else, or am I just being overly sensitive?
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Explain that to them. If they feel super strongly about it, and they really like it, then isn't that what really matters? I think your piece can look professional and great even if you don't like the proportions completely.

I made a jewelery box for my 6-yr old daughter that was shellacked curly maple and cherry. She wanted it painted white. I did it. She's happy. I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Explain that to them. If they feel super strongly about it, and they really like it, then isn't that what really matters? I think your piece can look professional and great even if you don't like the proportions completely.

I made a jewelery box for my 6-yr old daughter that was shellacked curly maple and cherry. She wanted it painted white. I did it. She's happy. I'm happy.
    This just reminded me, the same kid has asked me to put a different finish on every piece I've made them. Milk paint on the set of stacked Shaker boxes, and a different color on their Windsor chair.

I built a 24" deep EC unit and I should have made it 2" deeper. It might look better shallower, but depending on what A/V components they want to put in it, they might not fit.

+1 on what Matt said. That 22" may be critical to fitting components they own, which means going it the way you want may result in something that is useless to them. As a stereo freak, I've spent many years with equipment racks that don't satisfy me entirely, but the purchase of which was driven by the need to accommodate particular (and large) electronics.

I'd explain, find out what dimensions really are critical to them and why, and see if you can do a redesign that accommodates their needs while satisfying your aesthetic sensibilities...

Bob,
    Welcome to the world of made-to-order woodworking.

You can explain why you think something is a bad idea, but, in the end - the customer is always right. (even when he is wrong - grin)

Ask why the dimension needs to be that, and offer any alternatives, then build to order.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Thanks, guys, all good advice. I have a concern they want it 22 inches deep due to electronic equipment, and I will explore that area with them.

Rather than challenge their desire on depth, I think I will ask them what led to their decision of 22 inches.

Thanks for the help. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Thanks, guys, all good advice. I have a concern they want it 22 inches deep due to electronic equipment, and I will explore that area with them.

Rather than challenge their desire on depth, I think I will ask them what led to their decision of 22 inches.

Thanks for the help. Bob
    Televisions are now nice and thin. They can stand on shapely thin furniture, or hang from the wall. The issue is what to do with A/V components, which may be much deeper than the TV. Probably your kids need the 22" depth for only a couple of components, not for the whole 6 foot width of the stand. I like to make a cabinet for the A/V equipment which is maybe 24x24x24 or so. It can be a coffee table, or an end table, or the like. The TV can go on another piece of furniture which is much slimmer. This two-piece solution is generally better-looking, takes up less floor space, and is more versatile.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post

Thanks for the help. Bob
    I agree that the 22" depth is for the surround system, DVD palyer etc. Here's an idea for the electronics. Put the components in a drawer shelf like this: Use an over travel slide with the most over travel you can get so the wiring connecting everything is accessible without pulling everything out of the cabinet/
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bob,

If it were me I'd model the piece in sketchup* and get a feel for how it looks. If I was still unsure, I'd make a full-size model out of cardboard. I find that nothing beats looking at the actual dimensions of a piece.

David

*I'm pretty quick with sketchup. If you aren't familiar with it, then maybe go straight to the cardboard.

IMHO just keep rowing. I've had a couple of bad experinences with building it my way.

Bob, I have this project on my "Gold List" (meaning it's higher priority to my wife than items on my silver and bronze lists). In other words, it's coming up soon!

I agree with you. I want this piece to be much shallower in depth, like 18" or 20" if I could. But, I can't find a way to make a shallower cabinet to accommodate my components and the cables that sick off the back of them. one idea I have is to drop the back of the components downward. So they slide in sort of like a magazine rack. I haven't worked out the details of this idea, so I don't know if it's realistic or not. It's definitely a space waster but it might allow these deep components to fit into a shallow cabinet. Anyway, I just thought it's an idea you might like to explore with them. Good luck.

I find most people don't know from dimensions and can't visualize how large something will be. A cardboard mock up might help them see more clearly.

If the extra depth is to fit components I would be more concerned with the inside dimension rather than the outer.

I had this problem with someone, let's call her my wife just to give a name, who wanted a shelf 24" deep. Holding an 18" ruler out from the wall, I showed her how that was too deep and 24" was much worse. We ultimately came to a more reasonable depth of 10".

Weren't you worried that she'd figure out that what you have been telling her was 8 inches is really 3 inches?