Thread: Jig section

Jig section

This has most likely been brought up before, but I couldnt find any info. Why isn't there a jig section on SMC? I am currently making a couple of jigs for my tablesaw, and wanted to post some questions, but didn't know if they should go here or in the project section.

Two questions now. For a sled for a planer, would you wax or poly the bottom to make the ride a bit smoother? The same question for my tablesaw jig.

For a shooting jig, is it better to use hardwood or soft? I found it a bit tougher to break in with hickory, but I would imagine it would keep its form better.

For planer sled, I use a a piece of melamine. It's slick, and I have plenty of scraps.

For my table saw sled I made the base out of 1/2" MDF, with a fence made of 3/4" MDF. I haven't found a need for waxing it, it slides fine without any trouble.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Blog Entries
    BB ply, several coats of shellac sanded to 400, Johnson's Paste Wax, very slick.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler