Thread: what do you guys do with old saw blades?

what do you guys do with old saw blades?

I have only been at this wood thing for a few years and have have been replacing all my blades this month, which leaves me with 5 WELL used blades. I can't imagine it makes any sense to send out a $30 dollar Freud blade for sharpening does it? Do i just pound a couple nails in the wall and hang them up to use if I ever lay out real money for a Forrest?

Tim, it all depends. I do have a couple of older blades that I keep around for cutting stuff that I wouldn't think of getting near my "good" blades. As for sharpening, I just hooked up with a local place to sharpen my 80 tooth Freud blade when I realized I was missing a tooth. I also took them a $40 rip blade and had it sharpened for $11. So depending on what type and where you get your blades sharpened, it may be worth it to have that $30 blade refurbed.

Be well,

Doc

With a good local sharpener, my carbide tablesaw blades seem to last forever. Dull steel bandsaw blades just get pitched. The one I can't seem to figure out is dull thickness-planer knives. I use the reusable kind, and have a pile which must have a couple dozen sets. They're dull, not sharpenable, and are useless, but I can't seem to throw them away.

I have extras of about everything. Saw blades, jointer and planer blades, router bits, shaper cutters. I put dull ones back, and when I get a pile of them, get sent off to the sharpener. This continues till either I or the sharpener feels like the blades or bits or knives are used up.
    Then they go into a special drawer, saved for a local Knife maker. He makes custom hunting knives and such.

Steve

Tim,

Another idea is to find someone that does "toll painting" (sp?) and give them to that person or persons. I have seen some very beautiful art work and shop clocks made from old sawblades. BS blades.....some say to cut them up and make small hand scrapers out of them....but I haven't tried that yet.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

After I've got all the use outta 'em that I can--several sharpenings--I cut mine up on a metal working bandsaw and make unique shaped scrapers, carving tools, and spare plane irons for when I'm doing big timbers onsite and don't want to fool with sharpening.

The old steel blades hold an edge real well but rust easily. The bodies of carbide tipped blades don't hold an edge very well but will usually take a decent burr for finish scraping.

Another idea is to find someone that does "toll painting" (sp?
    My wife does tole painting.....DOH!!!

I don't have anyone local that sharpens blades or i would drop them off there. Thanks.

I can tell you one thing, they don't make good frisbees.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    I don't have anyone local that sharpens blades or i would drop them off there. Thanks.
    I don't either Tim. For me, it's at least 30 miles one way to even get next to a sharpening service. I usually send my stuff to Scott Whiting in Surprise, AZ who offers one of the best sharpening services around IMHO!!!! He even sells BS blades, and sawblades of every size you would need, Amana and Everlast. Did I ever mention that one should try an Everlast blade!!???
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

If I had some old blades, I'd likely keep one or two as Doc suggested for working with "dubious" materials. The rest, well...they can become clocks if you want to keep them around or turn them into "value". If I'm not mistaken, Bart L has a clock made from a table saw blade in his shop, but I may be thinking of someone else.

If they are servicable, you could also sell them inexpensively to another woodworker for some "mad money"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hand them out to the neighborhood kids for use as Frisbees.

I too hang on to them for when I don't want to mess up my good blade. Yes, I only have one "good" blade. I guess it's time for me to go shopping.