Thread: Rose Tools - Anybody purchased from here?

Rose Tools - Anybody purchased from here?

I don't want to violate any rules here by referencing another website but has anybody bought tools online from roseantiquetools.com? They have a really good collection and I have a few planes picked out.

Thanks,
    Matt Sauber

I had one transaction with them and everything went fine.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Havent. But i did notice that their prices were exorbitant to say the least. what are you in the market for?

Too high

"But i did notice that their prices were exorbitant to say the least."

I'll second that...

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    Havent. But i did notice that their prices were exorbitant to say the least. what are you in the market for?
    I am looking at the Stanley planes #4,5,6,7. Are you saying the prices are high for these items?

#4 - ~$40
    #5 - ~$45
    #6 - ~$70
    #7 - ~$90

Seems a little high. But i'm a cheapskate.

Those prices are right on the money and a little lower than they used to be at Rose. In general, they will nick you pretty good if the plane is a nice Stanley. The off-brands are way less. Remember they are running a store and they have significant overhead. I wonder who buys there? I seldom hear the name of this dealer. Not one of the Chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Not one of the Chosen.
    I'll bite. Who are the Chosen?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Sauber View Post
    I'll bite. Who are the Chosen?
    Basically you hear about a handful of tool dealers on WW sites. They are Patrick Leach, Brass City Records and Tools, Sydnas Sloot, Fine Tool Journal, Jon Zimmers. Those folks have earned their good reputations. Obviously there are others if I have forgotten any. There is a second tier of dealers who just don't seem to reach the web WW crowd as much, maybe because their prices are pretty high or even very high.
    Of course you also have the online auction for the adventurous.

Thanks

Thanks for that list, Mike. And thanks for asking, Matt S. I'm also considering the slope. Want a 40, 7, 4 1/2, or wooden equivalents. Maybe something in the "Jack" range too but haven't decided.

[Edit - forgot the half. I'm new.]
    Last edited by Matthew Wright; 01-13-2010 at 3:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Sauber View Post
    I am looking at the Stanley planes #4,5,6,7. Are you saying the prices are high for these items?

#4 - ~$40
    #5 - ~$45
    #6 - ~$70
    #7 - ~$90
    Matt,

Welcome to the Creek. If you lived near me, I would gladly sell you a #4 and a #6 for those prices. I would even help you get started tuning them up. For a retail operation, those are not exorbitant prices.

At yard sales and some flea markets you can do a lot better. If you live in an area where these do not happen, then it is kind of difficult to do much better.

Looking through the #4s they have listed, there are a few Stanley Defiance planes that I would avoid at any price. I do not know enough about the Defiance line to know if there were any "good ones." I do know enough to know there were some really bad ones.

At yard sales and some flea markets you can do a lot better. If you live in an area where these do not happen, then it is kind of difficult to do much better.

I do not know a lot about the vendor in question. There is nothing on the site claiming they have invested any effort into tuning their tool offerings into well fettled users. If they had, they would likely be asking more. I know I would.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've ordered from them once, they were very helpful, even kind.

A few years ago I bought 2 seperate items from rose tools, items were exactly as described. I bought a blue grass framing suare and it was shipped in the packaging it showed up to blue grass years ago new old stock. Pretty cool none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If you lived near me, I would gladly sell you a #4 and a #6 for those prices. I would even help you get started tuning them up.
    I live in Wichita, KS and the antique tool selection is pretty slim in these parts.

Thanks for all the responses and the list of "The Chosen" was very helpful.

The Chosen?

While we are mentioning web sites, don't forget to add Jim Bode. I have dealt with him, and Patrick Leach, and both were a pleasure to deal with. I'm not sure about all this "chosen" business though, they just do a better job of making their products known. My two cents. Rick