Thread: General International Lathe 25-600

General International Lathe 25-600

Is anyone familiar with the General International 25-600?
    http://www.general.ca/site_general/g...he/25-600.html

I found a good deal on one and was wondering if I should do this or go for the Jet 1642.

The lathe is very sound and normal General quality. The low end speed is 450 RPM, a little fast, but OK.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Rich,
    Guess it depends on what a "good deal" is and what you plan to turn. There is an awful lot of energy in an unbalanced 14" bowl blank starting out at 450rpm. Way more than the General's 400 pounds will handle.

The VFD system on the Jet will be superior the Reeves drive on the General. It will also be quieter, with less maintenance. There are a number of other improvements on the Jet that make it a better lathe, but again it depends on what you want to do with it.

The lathe is new, normally sells for $1599, now offered for $1099.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

FWW has done a review on its big cousin:
    http://www.teknatool.com/products/La...April%2007.pdf

The 1-1/4" head stock spindle was reduced to 1", that is not good.
    The warranty of the GI was not the same as the General of Canada. If you Google "General lathe problem", it took the owner a lot of run around to get the problem solved. He was not ordinary joe; I suspect if he didn't have a big microphone, applying some public pressure, he might be hung out to dry.

It is a Reeves drive, which is high maintenance. That is an outdated design.
    Gordon

I had a the smaller general international maxi lathe, i loved that little lathe and I think they are a pretty good company. Originally when the lathe first came out the motors had a problem and burned out very quickly, they fixed the problem by giving me a newer motor and after that it was a great lathe. I love the swiveling head. Having said that the 25-600 is no match for the Jet. Reeves drive usually isn't worth it, for larger turnings its really nice to be able to dial in any speed and like Phillip said 450 is pretty quick for roughing. Especially if you ever plan on turning the headstock and doing some really large stuff.

So go for the Jet.

I have a friend that just sold his General 25-600. The reeves drive just drove him nuts. The low end speed is to high for out of balance blanks. I definitely would opt for the Jet with the VFD. I think you would be disappointed with the General.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the help. After sleeping on it and reading your comments, I think it is smart to buy the lathe once and be done for years. I passed on the lathe and will be checking out a Jet 1642 on Saturday. I live about 70 miles from Steve Schlumpf..... you guys know him?

If anyone is interested, Woodcraft is selling General again and this is a reintroductory offer - $500 off the normal selling price.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 01-13-2010 at 7:16 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I live about 70 miles from Steve Schlumpf..... you guys know him?
    Steve who??????

Steve I am sure would be more than happy to show you the lathe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.