Thread: David Marks Class reviews?

David Marks Class reviews?

The local Woodcraft is having a 1 day class with David Marks on veneering, resawing, and bent lamination. I am moderately competent in these areas and have done a couple resaw/bent lam projects before (simpler stuff, table skirts, etc..) but have an upcoming project that is right along those lines.

Has anyone been to one of these classes to know how much there is to learn? How much detail does he get into with just a 1 day class with 15-20 people? I would just hate to spend 200$ on a class and not really learn anything I don't already know.

Thanks in advance.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Bueller?

Made it to page 2 with no responses. One more try!
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I've never be lucky enoough to take a class with Mr. Marks. I tell you this; I can't believe anyone could go to a class like that and not come out feeling you got your moneys worth. I've heard he's a great guy and very patient.

kEN
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

I took that class a couple of years ago at a local Woodcraft. If you've already been doing bent laminations, you may get a few nuggets, but the class itself is geared more for the bending novice. What's nice though, is that he's so easygoing that he'll take the time to answer any questions you may have, even if they're more advanced. If he were to offer the class again around here, I'd take it again just to pick his brain again.

One thing that truly amazed me was seeing him take a bandsaw he'd never used before (Rikon 18"), tune it in less than 5 minutes, resaw with it, and come away with better veneers than I could get with the same saw after a few years.