Thread: Double Oven Corner Cabinet

Double Oven Corner Cabinet

Hello all,

I would like to find out the measurements of a Double Oven Corner Cabinet. One that obviously fits intot a corner. My question is; does anyone know the measurements of the wall sides. I've looked around a bit but have not found the exact size of one. I have the Craftmade catalog out and it does not have one in it. By the way, if you know the height that will help also. Or does some one have a link that you can send me to?

thanks
    Ben

Use Sketchup

Ben, I would fire up Sketchup and draw one to scale. Doing that will not only yield exact measurements, it will allow you to easily tweak it and maximize the space with custom drawers etc.

You'll be surprised how quick you can do it even if you haven't used Sketchup before.

Grant,

I'm doing the scaled drawings and I have to know the size of the cabinet in order for the other cabinets and such to fit. There is a standard on this and most other cabinets such as for appliances. I have to move walls and in doing so i need the measurements in order to know how far to move a doorway. Sometimes you have to work backwards to a starting point.

thanks
    Ben

Ben, the size of the cabinet depends on the size of the oven. I am building my oven cabinet now. My oven is 30' wide. I am making my cabinet 35" wide. When the cabinet is placed next to the wall, the oven door will be a few inches away from the wall as it opens.

The height also depends what you want and what size your oven is. I am making mine to fit a warming drawer, single oven, and microwave. I think is is like 75" tall.

I am using 3/4" plywood for my cabinets. My face frame determines the total width of the cabinet. My cabinet is also a corner cabinet. Don't get the oven door to close to the wall.

You will need to check your oven specifications and make sure you allow enough room for the oven to slide in.

Sam

Hi Ben, I have never built a corner oven cabinet because they are HUGE, and there is alot of wasted space in them. You need a large kitchen to pull it off .Im not so sure it would fit through a reg 36" door without building it in 2 peices.

In a regular dbl oven cab. I build the opening ( off the top of my head ) 28.75 wide x 41.5 tall ). it needs to be at least 24" deep. I usally build the sides of the cab 26" deep so the counter can die into it.

If I was building one, I would just draw it out on the floor. It wont take long to see how big these things are.

Drawing it out on paper real quick ( 1" = 1') With a 36" front face, 24" cabinet sides. the front face will stick out from the corner about 4' and take up 4' of wall space in each direction.

Hope this helps
    MadeByJCB

Hi Jay,

I sent you another email about another item. OK, you fellows are going to make me figure this out aren't you?

thanks

Ben

You may not find one listed because they are a very large cabinet and they waste a lot of space. I had one in a condo and it was designed to sit proud of the counters in the front - and I believe this was only a 27" oven without convection. The sides are still cut perpendicular to the counters.

Some of the new wall ovens (30") are very large and require every speck of space in a standard cabinet setup -- they would really require a lot of space to do a corner.

You do see upper corner cabinets set up for just a microwave because they do not require all that much space behind -- but they still waste the corner.

I strongly suggest that you get the spec sheet for the oven unit you plan to use before sizing the cabinet. Most (all?) units will fit in a 24" deep cabinet but the height and width of the opening that the oven slides into are important.

Commercial modular cabinets are usually set up with an oversized face frame which is cut out to fit the oven on site. An internal platform to support the oven is almost always needed, as well. A particular width modular cabinet (30", 33", 36", etc.) can fit any oven up to a maximum width based on the internal cabinet width AND any required side clearance of the oven unit - see that pesky spec sheet for this.

Building your own cabinet allows you to optimize the design for a particular oven and eliminate wasted cabinet space but might make it tough to change ovens in the future. Pay attention to the working level of the oven so you don't have to bend over too much to get into the lower oven. A filler or wide face frame stile on the wall side will keep the oven doors from hitting the wall.

As far as cabinet height, the bottom of the cabinet should match the bottom of the lower cabinets (not counting toe kick) and the top should match the top of the upper cabinets so that trim will be aligned.

Don't know if any of this helped but good luck.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

You could just take a standard cabinet & set in at an angle in the corner. There is no need to build the cabinet to fit back into the corner because the space behind the cabinet will be wasted anyway.
    You would need to know the size of the oven you are going to use first.
    Ovens come in the following sizes, 24" wide, 27" wide & 30" wide. Kitchen Designers design most oven cabinets to be the same width as the oven. If you want some of the cabinet face to show around the oven you will need to add that amount to the width of the oven. Unless you make the cabinet a lot wider than your oven, the cabinet sides will need to be 24" deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    You will need to check your oven specifications and make sure you allow enough room for the oven to slide in.

Sam
    I agree with Sam.... You need a copy of the spec sheet to size the opening.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Ben,

don't worry about changing ovens in the future. I don't think she found the one that's in the kitchen now. I guess she just wants two of them to keep each other happy........the one we have must be lonely......

......Don't tell her I said that

OK Fellows,

I did work it out and if I want the counters to finish into the sides of the cabinet as Jay had mentioned I would need to have the sides at 26 inches to make it look nice. Being that counters are 25.500 wide. It would take approximately 48 inches down each wall if I wanted 33 inches or so in the front. As Chris said, why build the cabinet into the corner. leave the cabinet short of the rear corner and just a bit deeper than the oven. if I left the rear short I could get away with a max of a 30 inch deep cabinet which would fit thru most doorways in my home.....But now that you all have me thinking I might change the arrangement. The kitchen is 11ft wide and 24 ft long. It opens into our main living area and I want to show some separation between the two with an island of sort. I now have a half wall and an opening. the half wall is going oneway or another and being replaced by the island.

thanks fellows for your guidance.

Ben

The way to do such an installation would be to install a standard oven cabinet in the proper place then finish it off with to separate panels that run from the cabinet front to the wall.

That being said, you would end up with more wasted space than the ovens would actually take up.

I would not use a corner oven set up. Too much wasted space 'cause the cab is soooo big. It will actually overwhelm the visual effects in the kitchen.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.