Thread: Leg vise screw location

Blog Entries

Leg vise screw location

Building a new bnech and putting a leg vise on. The top is 3" thick - my question has to do with the location of the screw. It seems I read that 9" from the bench top is a good comprimise between strengh and distance from the the top, but can't seem to find that again.

Anyone have any thoughts on this as to their own experience, or can anyone remember reading the same thing? I've googled with no luck as well as gone through Scwartz's book and the Workbench book. Guess it's one of those things that if I'm not looking for it, I'll see it the next day.

Schwarz's book has it at 9" from the top surface of the Roubo workbench.

Rob

Blog Entries
    You're right - I was looking for it in the text as I did read it somewhere, but didn't think to look at the plans themselves. Should have known better. Thank you.

If I can suggest some thing regarding leg vise, it would be to consider putting the parallel guide above the stretcher, it make it easy to reach and reposition the pin!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reply - I agree, but doesn't the shorter distance between the screw and the parallel guide weaken the strength of the vise itself? Probably not enough for my purposes, but it seems the further from the fulcrum, the more the leveage. That said - it would be nice not to stoop all the time to change the pin.