Thread: Stanley Shoulder Plane Looking and Fettling

Blog Entries

Stanley Shoulder Plane Looking and Fettling

This will cover both things to look for and fettling of a Stanley shoulder plane. It will be easier to link this to both of those threads than to compose two separate articles. This also was cut into parts because of the picture per post limitations.

My opinion on shoulder planes is that this may be a good example of where the current offering may well be worth saving for, unless one's finances are limited. Don't get me wrong, the Stanley shoulder plane is a capable tool and can take fine, even shavings. The modern examples do seem to have the Stanley beat on ergonomics along with fit and finish.

I have not had the opportunity to handle the offerings of Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley. I have test driven Bridge City Tools offering. It was awesome. Their shoulder planes are in the $600 - $800 range. My wife is not likely to let me get one for my birthday.

The Stanley shoulder plane can be tuned up to work well. I do not think it will ever work as well or fit my hand as well as the plane I test drove at a woodworking tool show. It is my advice that if at all possible, one should test drive a shoulder plane before buying to make sure it will not only work correctly, but that it feels and fits well in the user's hands. Of course, if you buy an old Stanley off of eBay, you will not have that chance. If you get a deal on a good one, it is likely that it can be sold without losing much and possibly making a gain.

The shoulder plane is useful for quite a few tasks. If one is doing; mortise and tenon, lap joints, rabbets or other joints, a shoulder plane can make clean up, trimming and fitting easier.

Shoulder Cutting Lap:dado.jpg

Here is my Stanley #93 being used to clear the waste from a lap joint in western red cedar. The sides were scored and chamfered using a chisel to avoid break out.

Left Side.jpg

There are as likely as many causes for chips and cracks with shoulder planes as with any other kind of plane. It all comes down to the same thing, a plane you do not want. My knowledge of the machining Stanley used to make shoulder planes is zilch. One thing that has been noticed is there does not seem to be any strict adherence to where the mating rails are located. The #90 and the #93 have some parts in common, but the machining of the top varies and may not allow for swapping tops without some filing to fit. This could mean the side would not be perfectly flat. Flat sides, square to the sole are an important feature of a shoulder plane.

I do not know enough about the different types to know if this is correct, but this example has a different type of lever holding the blade than I have seen on other Stanley shoulder planes. This may be correct for a type 1, but I do not know. With the cracked top piece and the rust on the adjuster screw, this one has me thinking pass. Besides, the bull nose makes the #90 difficult to register the plane to the work.

Open Shoulders.jpg

Notice the difference of the spacing on the guide rails on the two tops and bases in the picture. This makes the interchanging of tops a bit hit or miss. My thought is they put tops and bottoms together before lapping to make the sides square to the bottom. If this was the case, the fitting of the top was not critical as long as the parts stayed together. Mine will fit a little sloppy with the #90 top on the #93 base, but not the other way around. The #93 top feels like it almost wants to sit on the #90 base, but everyone should know by now what happens when you try to force cast iron to so something it doesn't want to do. CRAAAACK!!! To me, this means if the plane is not complete and/or cracked, it may be difficult to find a part that mates up correctly. I do not know, maybe some one else does.

Also note the small screw in either of the tops. This is for setting the mouth opening. When the top is put in place, this screw will rest against the screw that holds the top on. It is not as convenient as the mouth adjustment on planes being made today. According to Patrick Leach, this screw is often found seized. Replacements are also available from Stanley.

This picture also shows an almost used up blade and the two screws that hold the tops on the #90 and #93 shoulder plane, notice they are of different lengths. Also notice the piece in the casting of the top piece of the #93 that goes across the opening. This will be discussed later as the lever screw hits it and restricts the movement of the lever.

Also of interest is the lever and screw are still available from Stanley. The lever from the newer #90 will accept the new screw. The older lever from the #93 is of a slightly smaller size. The threads are the same, and it is only few thousandths of an inch, but the new screw will not fit in the old lever. The old screw will fit in the new lever. I wonder about Stanley and their proprietary threads and screw sizes at times.

Short Blade?.jpg

Notice the short area of blade left in this image. It is the highlighted edge of the blade. Where the highlight stops, so does the blade. There is still a bit of useable blade here. In this case, it is being saved with the plane as it is the original SW blade that came with the plane. Stanley still sells blades for their shoulder planes, hopefully they will continue to do so.
    Also notice the lip at the back edge at the mouth. This needs to be square to the side and even across the width. Correcting one that is not could be difficult at best.

If you do have the chance to handle and inspect before buying, make sure all of the screws turn. The screw in the lever may be mushroomed where it presses against the blade. This is not a deal breaker if the screw has enough length left to do the job.

Remove the blade depth adjuster screw to check for condition. If the lever was set tight when adjustments were made, the threads could be damaged. Stanley does sell new adjusting screws and slides which is good if the body threads are not damaged.

The blades on shoulder planes are typically slightly wider than the plane body. When using my shoulder plane, the lever is not set real tight. This allows the plane to be pressed down on a piece of scrap wood to flush the blade to the side being used to register against the work. Not doing this can cause chips to the edge the blade rides against. Some of the modern planes have set screws to control the side to side movement of the blade. This makes flipping from side to side a bit more difficult. My thought would be to lap the blade to make it the same width as the plane body in this case. My tendency would be to lap equal amounts off of each side of the blade if this were being done.

Continued...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries

Old Shoulder to Rely on

A small machinist square is useful in checking to assure the sides are square to the sole and that the front edge of the mouth is also square to the sides. There is a small step to the sole from the blade ramp. If this is too thin, the plane can become grabby and hard to get a good, useful adjustment on the blade. It may be good to avoid lapping the sole so as to not change this geometry.

Checking Square.jpg

The blade also needs to be as square as possible. There is only a little room for lateral adjustment to the blade.

Is it Square?.jpg
    This is a blade that has been sharpened with a slight skew. Getting this blade to make good shavings is next to impossible. It is easier to spend some time honing it square.

Looking at the inside of a plane can tell a person many things. Sometimes light can be seen under the blade if it is not seating properly. In this case, it can be seen the lever is leaning to one side.

Inside view.jpg

The lever should be pressing on the center of the blade. The leaning may have a few causes, the lever could be improperly ground at the point where it touches the blade. This area should not be ground unless absolutely necessary. The pressure is applied at just the very tip of the lever. My philosophy of plane tune up is to change as little as possible. It is easy to change more later as needed. It is dang near impossible to undo changes involving the removal of metal.

The bridge that holds the top screw could be out of square, or in the case of this plane, the top and bottom surfaces of the lever were not parallel. A few careful passes with a file to remove metal from the top of the lever corrected the situation.

Leaning Cap.jpg

The paper in this picture slid under the lever tip easily before it was corrected.

Continued...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries

Shoulder Work Ahead

Check the blade seating. Note the light coming through between the blade and the plane body in this image. This image also shows the lip (step) at the back edge of the mouth.

Blade Seating.jpg

There are a few causes of poor blade seating.

First check is to see if the blade is bent? The area where the notches for the adjustment mechanism can bow and cause this problem, correct as needed.

Next check the fit between the blade and the nib on top of the frog slider.

Frog Slider.jpg

If the nib is too tall, it can cause this problem. The blade should seat snug on the top of the slider. Check the area around the nib for high spots and carefully file them down as needed. It may be necessary to remove a little metal from the front or sides of the nib.

If the blade is mating properly on the frog yet still not seating correctly, it may be necessary to remove a little metal off the bottom of the slider. Do this slowly with sand paper on a flat surface or using a medium stone. A file is difficult to keep everything square.

The levers have changed over time.

Screw Caps.jpg

The top one in the picture is from the SW era. Not sure when the middle one was made. The bottom one is a replacement bought from Stanley recently.

Looking at pictures of Stanley shoulder planes, the lever is seldom seen sticking out very far on the blade. On the #93, this is because the screw on the lever can not pass under a part of the top casting. To make the tip of the lever seat closer to the edge of the blade, the screw can have a little of the threads filed off or the head of the screw can be filed a bit to pass under the "low bridge." Be very careful if filing the threads as there are not too many to spare. If too much is filed off the threads, it may not be possible to properly tighten the lever to hold the blade. It may be necessary to use shims to correct such an error.

Jamed Shaving.jpg

If the lever is too far forward, shavings are likely to jam up in the blade chamber.

This is what a well tuned shoulder plane can do going with the grain.

Full Shaving.jpg

An even full width shaving. It is easiest to set a shoulder plane in a piece of scrap wood before making cross grain cuts.

jim
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-30-2009 at 3:45 PM. Reason: changed wording & spelling

As usual Jim - your coverage of this topic is detailed and intuitive. Great job! Of course, most of us now realize this is another step in luring in newbies to the world of "old plane addiction."

I have never really looked for old shoulder planes, but don't recall seeing very many. I suspect the original herd was limited in size, and survivors even more so.

Nice write-up, Jim. No #92 in the mix?

Good write up. I have to agree with you about the older Stanley shoulder planes compared to new ones. I had a couple of older Stanley shoulder planes and never could get them to work to my satisfaction. I finally bought a LV medium shoulder plane and it worked great out of the box (with a bit of honing). I sold the Stanley shoulder planes.

As someone pointed out to me one time, people used those shoulder planes for years and were satisfied so maybe it was me.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-30-2009 at 8:53 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    Nice write-up, Jim. No #92 in the mix?
    The #92 is just a different size, which I do not own. Nor is there a #94 in my shop. Before putting out the big bucks for a #94, my tendency would be to buy a Lie-Nielsen or a Veritas large shoulder plane.

I did have to clean up a lot of #92s from the write up before posting the piece. I made a lot of typos on the plane number and typed 92 where I should have typed 93.

jim

how can we re-chrome one?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    how can we re-chrome one?
    I think the original planes were nickel plated.

I have thought about this since I used to work in a circuit board shop and we did nickel plating.

If you have a power source, the proper solution and some time, it should be easy.

The metal needs to be clean for the plating to hold.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I think the original planes were nickel plated.

I have thought about this since I used to work in a circuit board shop and we did nickel plating.

If you have a power source, the proper solution and some time, it should be easy.

The metal needs to be clean for the plating to hold.

jim
    what chemicals Cyanide?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    what chemicals Cyanide?
    Cyanide is used in gold plating.

For nickel, a sulfite solution would probably work.
    Not sure if this could be done with just a mild solution and a nickel cathode or if one would have to get some nickel sulfite. My last experience in a plating situation was almost 30 years ago. Then I was just shlepping trays from bath to bath and did not get too involved in the chemistry.

I learned about what not to do with acids from one of the idiots in the shop.

I guess one of these days when all the honey do's and other projects are out of the way I may give it a try.

jim

Hi Jim, thanks for the informative post on the shoulder plane. In the past I have relied on a well tuned Stanley No78 for my shoulder plane needs. But, I always wanted a Stanley shoulder plane. My wife had asked what she could get me for Christmas, so just before Christmas I saw a nice later model (made in England) Stanley 92 on ebay at a decent BIN price and pointed it out to her as a possible gift idea. Anyway, she got me the plane, and after receiving it I went to the shop and honed up the iron. My first test with the plane was a horrible disaster, the iron dove into the wood, and I was unable to really remove a shaving at all. I started to think that my 78 was to remain my shoulder plane, and was pretty dissappointed in my new 92. So I started searching on the internet for info about tuning up shoulder planes and discovered this thread along with a good video on finewoodworking.com about tuning shoulder planes. Turned out the removable front part of the plane was not in the same plane as the rear part of the body. After some aggressive work with some 50 grit sandpaper and a 90 degree block to keep the plane body square, I managed to get the sole flat and in working condition, and finished up with a few swipes on some 150 grit to smooth the sole. My plane is now working as I had imagined, thanks to both you and to the aforementioned fine woodworking video.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Is the Fine WoodWorking video one that requires a subscription?

Well, a quick trip to Google with a search on > tuning up shoulder planes < found it.

No subscription required. Not sure if the new link in post policy allows including a link.

Thanks for telling us about it. There is some good information for the basic tune up of the plane.

jim