Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scaled down Roubo bench

Scaled down Roubo bench

Just wondering if anyone has scaled down the length of an 84" Roubo bench and is happy with the result? I ought to have confined spaces training to be working in my shop and I'm wondering if I should modify the leg dimensions/spacing if I'm restricted to a 24" width but only a 50-60" length.

I don't see any problems, mine is 60" x 24", I have a leg vise on the front left leg. the over hang is 12" on each ends and 26" inbetween the legs(5" legs). My next bench will be over 8' for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Wilson View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has scaled down the length of an 84" Roubo bench and is happy with the result? I ought to have confined spaces training to be working in my shop and I'm wondering if I should modify the leg dimensions/spacing if I'm restricted to a 24" width but only a 50-60" length.
    Mine is 6' long and I'm happy with it; Roy Underhill's modified Roubo bench is 5' long --- there is a video of him making it in a past season of his show (on the PBS website) and there is also a description of the joinery in his latest book.
    If you are building a short Roubo I would really encourage you to build the top with the wide, thick pieces rather than laminating multiple 2" boards (as I and others have done) -- it's at the top of my list of things I will do differently the next time I build a workbench.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Homan View Post
    If you are building a short Roubo I would really encourage you to build the top with the wide, thick pieces rather than laminating multiple 2" boards (as I and others have done) -- it's at the top of my list of things I will do differently the next time I build a workbench.
    Many thanks for the link and the advice. Why do you recommend using a thick, wide piece instead of laminating?

Its a lot less work.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Many thanks for the link and the advice. Why do you recommend using a thick, wide piece instead of laminating?
    Besides the amount of work, as Harry indicated!, by using massive timbers for the top, you can actually build a bench without already having a bench to work on -- and you can use handtools instead of machinery. The idea of using 10-12 laminated boards for a Roubo benchtop was propagated by some plans and instructions for building a Roubo using machinery. At the time when I built mine, I asked: how would I do this if I had no access to machinery, and didn't already have a bench to work on?

Here is how you can build a Roubo without already having a bench:
    -- select 2 or 3 boards (at the most, 4) for the top (OR one huge board if you can find one). 2 boards that are 3"+ thick and 10-12 inches wide should do the trick.
    -- build 2 stout sawhorses out of 2x4s. With the massive boards on the sawhorses, you should be able to work them down with handplanes. Work on a face, then an edge, and then do the same with the second board. Join the two massive boards with a glued edge joint. Depending on how many boards you need for your top, you will be making 1 to 3 edge joints. This is a lot less than 10-12, and the massive boards should be rigid enough to work on them when they are resting on the sawhorses, whereas thin (2") boards would have needed to be trued on an already existing bench (or machinery).
    -- At this point, the glued up massive boards resting on the sawhorses should already be looking more like a workbench, right? Now drill some holes in it for holdfasts and a benchdog. (You could also install a larger planing stop at this time, if you wish.) You could actually do a lot of woodworking with just this setup! However, at this point, focus on the legs and the stretchers, and build the base of your future workbench. You can also use massive boards to build up the legs and stretchers, rather than laminating (machined) boards as described in the plans.
    -- Install the top on the frame, then put the sawhorses to work elsewhere in your shop. Now you can true up the top of the bench and build your vise.
    Cheers,
    Andy

The Roubo is a design optimized for large workpieces processed in a millwork shop. Scaling it down doesn't make it a cabinetmakers bench in the sense that a Klausz or Frid style bench is - optimized for parts that go into Western furniture and cabinet projects.

I'd say scaling it down would make it no longer the best bench for any kind of woodworking. It doesn't have the workpiece holding capability of a European bench and would no longer have the massiveness needed for the workpieces on larger jobs.

If you build furniture, you're building the wrong bench IMO.
    Last edited by Sandy Stanford; 01-14-2010 at 1:00 PM.

I'm sorry Sandy, but I think you are totaly wrong by your assomption of the smaler Roubo not being a good bench for wood working. it got mor holding power than any european bench ( other than Roubo, who was european), simply by having, the legs flush with the top, I can, on my 5' bench hold pieces that are as long as my shop!!
    the Roubo, by having no apron, unlike a Nicholsen style bench, can use clamps runing under the bench top to hold stuff. I can also remove my leg vise to be abble to work edges of realy big panels, doors...And at around 300lbs it is massive anought!
    Is there a perfect bench?

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    I'm sorry Sandy, but I think you are totaly wrong by your assomption of the smaler Roubo not being a good bench for wood working. it got mor holding power than any european bench ( other than Roubo, who was european), simply by having, the legs flush with the top, I can, on my 5' bench hold pieces that are as long as my shop!!
    the Roubo, by having no apron, unlike a Nicholsen style bench, can use clamps runing under the bench top to hold stuff. I can also remove my leg vise to be abble to work edges of realy big panels, doors...And at around 300lbs it is massive anought!
    Is there a perfect bench?
    Still don't think anything beats a traditional European bench (Klausz) for holding all sorts of parts for a serious furniture making project. The vises on a European bench are too versatile; Roubo just doesn't match up. I've never really understood what all the buzz and smitten-ness was with the Roubo but it seems to come from one particular place or two. A plus is that it's a style that lends itself to being built out of construction lumber and there aren't a significant number of parts that require extremely close tolerances like a Klausz bench does. It's an upgrade from a hollow core door on 2x4 legs, but if the OP has the skills he ought to look past it for the compromise it really is. If he's building doors, mantles, architraves, pilasters for gilded age homes, huge windows, renovations for the Palace at Versailles, etc. then more power to him - build one in full bloom. It's a great bench for that kind of woodworking.
    Last edited by Sandy Stanford; 01-14-2010 at 4:43 PM.

... but only a 50-60" length.
    For a general use workbench I wouldn't go less than 50". My first bench ended up at about 40" due to the lumber I had on-hand. I'm constantly having to work around it. Seems that I work on a lot of 48" boards even when my projects are small. Using dog holes and vices is frustrating if the bench is under-sized. Probably 50" is too small for 48" boards.

-Brian

I think most are missing the OP's reason for scaling down because of his restricted small work space. That is why I scaled down to a 60 by27 bench from a 96 by 48 bench, I had no room to work in my shop because of the massive bench top. Why try to talk the OPer into a massive bench he doesn't have room for. That is not what he asked for. FWIW
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I think most are missing the OP's reason for scaling down because of his restricted small work space. That is why I scaled down to a 60 by27 bench from a 96 by 48 bench, I had no room to work in my shop because of the massive bench top. Why try to talk the OPer into a massive bench he doesn't have room for. That is not what he asked for. FWIW
    He ought to consider scaling down a better design, assuming he builds furniture like most of us do. I don't think he's in the millwork business given his constraints.

Sandy, I personally don't care for the so called Roubo design, the legs just look out of proportion to the bench, I didn't follow anyones design when I built mine and I know most think I went vise crazy, but I do most everything on mine even long boards up to 8 foot and have no problem holding anything do to the versatility of the many dog holes, apron, vises and my wedge clamping system. Each to his own is my theory, what works for one will not work for others. If you are happy with your workbench, then its the perfect bench for your needs.
    Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    Sandy, I personally don't care for the so called Roubo design, the legs just look out of proportion to the bench, I didn't follow anyones design when I built mine and I know most think I went vise crazy, but I do most everything on mine even long boards up to 8 foot and have no problem holding anything do to the versatility of the many dog holes, apron, vises and my wedge clamping system. Each to his own is my theory, what works for one will not work for others. If you are happy with your workbench, then its the perfect bench for your needs.
    Harry, your bench looks great. Roubo is not what came to mind when I saw it.

Actually I did build a scaled down Roubo bench just so that I could say I built one. The Zippo lighter on it shows the scale.

Jr.