Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An appeal for uploading photos to the Creek

I agree Dave...that is a problem. Or maybe a better word is a hassle. It seems that there was discussion on this item before, and maybe there was a work around for it. Too lazy to go looking for it right now. I'm thinking it was in the "Lumber Yard" section. But don't trust my memory. I don't!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I guess I represent the other end of the spectrum. I use pics hosted on Photobucket, which represents extra work for me to upload there and post the link here that allows them to to show in my posts, without the need to click on the link. Hope that makes sense.

This way, I can sequence them in the post as I wish (having text and picture together, which is particularly useful for step by step sorts of things), and you don't have to click on a thumbnail, which then prevents you from reading the text while looking at the picture. I much prefer this when reading other's posts, than having to use the thumbnails.

The problem of disappearing pictures in posts is more a function of people either changing hosting sites, or deleting pictures from those sites, something I have never done.

Isn't bandwidth another consideration? Won't we use a lot of our bandwidth by posting pics directly to SMC?

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 01-14-2010 at 5:59 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Blog Entries
    I also tend to ignore pics hosted elsewhere as they so often are no longer there, require some sort of registration to view or just use an engine that I don't want to bother with. I can also side somewhat with folks that struggle with uploading pics to SMC. Resizing the pics is no big deal but having to upload them 2 at a time often makes my pictorials fragmented or brief as returning time and again to the upload screen is clumsy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    I'll be double devils advocate and point out that SMC is one of those sites Myk complains about above that makes you register before you can see images attached to a thread.
    Well, if someone is here, reading the forum, they might as well sign up, eh.
    Just don't post a message here, with a link to another site, that requires you to sign up to see it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    One problem uploading to the Creek. You can only upload it once then it will not let you upload the same photo in another thread. You can work around that by linking to your photo in the first post but that may have been some time ago. Too much trouble to search for your own post with the photo.
    When the system tells you it is alrerady UL'd, it gives you the link to it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I agree Dave...that is a problem. Or maybe a better word is a hassle. It seems that there was discussion on this item before, and maybe there was a work around for it. Too lazy to go looking for it right now. I'm thinking it was in the "Lumber Yard" section. But don't trust my memory. I don't!! Jim.
    there is a workaround for vB, but it might be a vB4.0 only one. Another site I use gives you the offer of attaching any of your older uploads to whatever the current thread is that you are trying to attach it to. If that makes any sense.

I'm sure Aaron is smart enough to figure it out if he is interested when he gets around to attempting the 4.0 upgrade. But if he or keith want, I can try to track the info down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    One problem uploading to the Creek. You can only upload it once then it will not let you upload the same photo in another thread. You can work around that by linking to your photo in the first post but that may have been some time ago. Too much trouble to search for your own post with the photo.
    Go to UserCP there is an option called Attachments at the bottom of the left side pane. This will let you view all attachments you have posted and a link to the thread they were in

Thanks Dan, Never knew that. Posting videos is the next issue I suppose.

I believe there are discussions about future possibilities of posting videos.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    I guess I represent the other end of the spectrum. I use pics hosted on Photobucket, which represents extra work for me to upload there and post the link here that allows them to to show in my posts, without the need to click on the link. Hope that makes sense.

This way, I can sequence them in the post as I wish (having text and picture together, which is particularly useful for step by step sorts of things), and you don't have to click on a thumbnail, which then prevents you from reading the text while looking at the picture. I much prefer this when reading other's posts, than having to use the thumbnails.

The problem of disappearing pictures in posts is more a function of people either changing hosting sites, or deleting pictures from those sites, something I have never done.

Isn't bandwidth another consideration? Won't we use a lot of our bandwidth by posting pics directly to SMC?

Dan
    I believe you could still do that with photos uploaded here. Let's try:

Yup, it worked. Just go to you attachments under your User CP to get the address of the photo and insert is as you would with an external photo. The best part is - it will never go away.

Paul & Ken - while the videos would be nice, I don't see it as big of a problem as photos only because there are more photos posted than videos. Of course, try telling that to Bob Hamilton!
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Dave, there is a way around it. Hope I'm not gonna make the powers on high mad about this, but here it goes:

When you upload a pic, there is a signature to it, the photo itself, that is. Most likely, before you uploaded it, you resized it. Well, all you have to do is take the original and resize it again. It creates a different signature that will be accepted.

Now, I'm sure there is a very good reason (probably space related) for SMC not wanting repeated pics being posted. So, please, don't abuse this "cheat". I have to admit, though, the reason I figured this out was because there was as legitimate reason why I wanted/needed to repost a pic and fell upon this loophole.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post

Dan
    I've never understood how they do it but I do see posts here where the full size image is inserted directly into the thread, not a thumbnail, but the full sized image with descriptive text either above or below the image.

I agree, neither am I fond of the thumbnails in posts.

Nevertheless, I agree with the OP. I do prefer that everyone upload their images directly to SMC rather than using a third party hosting service. This does ensure that the images will always be here for all of us to see when we search and find old threads. Too many times have I seen the dreaded red X and/or the message: image not found. That's really a bummer when that happens.

Actually, in several past discussions SMC management has asked us to upload directly their servers. That being the case, the bandwidth doesn't seem to be an issue.

By the way, this seems like a good time to remind non contributing members that it only costs $6.00 per year to be a contributor. Every little bit helps! If any of you who learn and/or enjoy pics hosted here, as well as all of the valuable information at our disposal, $6.00 per year is affordable for anyone who has a computer and an internet connection.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    By the way, this seems like a good time to remind non contributing members that it only costs $6.00 per year to be a contributor. Every little bit helps! If any of you who learn and/or enjoy pics hosted here, as well as all of the valuable information at our disposal, $6.00 per year is affordable for anyone who has a computer and an internet connection.
    Good advice Stephen!

And if you'd like to know how to post the larger photos (from SMC, of course) in the middle of the text, PM me & I can walk you through it.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    When the system tells you it is alrerady UL'd, it gives you the link to it.

Thanks! I will look next time I try to post a pic.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

When I post pictures I always upload them and expect to keep doing so, if for no reason than because I'm too much of a luddite to figure out how to embed them. I do like the larger embedded pictures sometimes, though, and while I do an awful lot of archive-diving here I rarely come across dead image links. Happens, but rarely for me.

It is possible that some folks (especially more accomplished folks) prefer not to upload them out of discomfort with the TOS, which state, "the submitting user grants SawMill Creek the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, all subject to the terms of any applicable license."

I gather there was some discussion at some point about collecting photos that had been attached to posts and selling them to contributors. Linking photos instead of uploading might be viewed as a way of making photos available here while retaining some control over their future use. That is pure speculation on my part, though.