Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New toys - no playground!

Unhappy New toys - no playground!

A day of mixed emotions! Received a big ol' box from Jeff Nicol stuffed full of new toys! I was excited!

Jeff made me a monster hollowing tool, with various cutters, including his adapted drill bit hollowing tip. The handle is elm, and beautifully done.
    2010_01130005.JPG
    2010_01130006.JPG
    He even made me a tip that will accept a carbide insert! The cutter that is in there now is not carbide.
    2010_01130007.JPG
    And, he made me a really pretty new steady for my Harbor Freight lathe -
    2010_01130008.JPG
    But, alas, at 9:30 this morning I sold my little HF 34706! New toys - no playground!!

Not to worry, Jeff is going to make an adaptor plate so the steady will fit my new Delta! Hopefully in a few days, I will have a new "playground" so I can play with the new tool and cutters.

So, I spent a couple hours tonite cleaning up the shop, and making a place for the new lathe, instead of playing with my new toys!

I almost started to cry for you... Then I realized that you've gotten more toys than I have recently.

That looks like a pretty sweet set up from Jeff... Wonder if he's got mustard paint for one of those?

Looking forward to you getting set up and seeing what you crank out next.

Good golly! This could be ugly! Keeton with withdrawal symptoms! Somebody grab one of those white jackets with the extra long sleeves that tie neatly in the back!

Congrats John!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

[QUOTE=John Keeton;1312173]A day of mixed emotions! Received a big ol' box from Jeff Nicol stuffed full of new toys! I was excited!

Jeff made me a monster hollowing tool, with various cutters, including his adapted drill bit hollowing tip. The handle is elm, and beautifully done.
    And, he made me a really pretty new steady for my Harbor Freight lathe -

[But, alas, at 9:30 this morning I sold my little HF 34706! New toys - no playground!!

Not to worry, Jeff is going to make an adaptor plate so the steady will fit my new Delta! Hopefully in a few days, I will have a new "playground" so I can play with the new tool and cutters.

John,

I have tool rest envy. My birthday present is coming from the Wooden Nicol.

Bob

C'mon John, you don't realllllly need a steady to get those hollowing tools going!..Bill..

Way to go on the new TOYLS! Can't wait to see you HF's. But dude seriously you are giving me tool envy!!

You could make a rollerblade out of your steady rest and skate around your shop until your new lathe shows up!

You could also practice changing the bits in your hollowing system. Then you could make 14 second pit stops like the NASCAR guys!

Doug

John - congrats on getting all the new tools! Kind of a pain to have them and not be able to use them - but at least you have them!

Congrats on selling your lathe! Makes things easier to move up the tool ladder when you can move those tools you have outgrown!

Hope you get the new lathe real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looks like a great deal on the tools. Didn't take long to move the old lathe. Nice to have the funds when bills come due for the new stuff. Let us know how they work when you get the lathe set up.

It's ok John. Really just tell yourself it is ok. The playground will be back. Congrats on the new tools John. You are going to go great guns when the new toy errrr..... I mean tool comes in.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats on the new toys John.
    And sorry they will be paper weights for the next couple of days....

I bet that shop of yours is going to be mighty clean with the extra time on your hands.
    Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your post but I was in my shop making a bowl.

John---Looks like you have some cool new stuff to play with when your lathe arrives. I've got a playground, but have been spending the last two days rebuilding my 1930's era toilet. Any "old porcelain" fans out there?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Nice, really nice.... could you consider this a little gloat before the big gloat get delivered.

Since you have no playground, you could send them over my way to play for awhile
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your post but I was in my shop making a bowl.
    Boy, that was cruel!!!!

Haven't heard anything yet on the Delta, but not having the HF is a good thing - I will get a lot more done on a stand for the new lathe.

I was surprised on the sale of the lathe. Listed it on CL at 5:30pm and by 9pm, I had three solid bites, and a phone call that the first guy was coming to look at it.

Congrats John. While you are waiting on your new toy maybe you should contact WMH and get a can of spray paint for that steady rest

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"