Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Table - Project Complete (Pics)

Kitchen Table - Project Complete (Pics)

Well, I didn't get to finish my router table this weekend due to an emergency at work (hopefully this week). But I did finally get the kitchen table done (I also reupholstered the chairs with marine-grade naugahyde).

About 2 years ago we bought this wrought iron table with a maple top. Through the actions of my two young ones we found out it wasn't solid maple as we were told, but 1/16 veneer. Needless to say, it was the discovery method that made it necessary to build a new top (major chip).

The table is 5/4 walnut wrapping a 1 inch laminated baltic birch plywood center that is top laminated with 1/4 inch curly maple. The maple was bookmatched from a single piece of 8/4 stock.

The table itself didn't take much to complete, it was the finishing that took a while (especially when I started to work on the router table at the same time). I started with 2 coats of Tung oil which popped the grain/figure nicely. Then I topped it using Tung/Poly (5 coats) and after final sanding, paste wax. Hopefully that finish will hold up to my children The LOL absolutely loves it but regrets it's our kitchen table and not the dining table (guess I'll be making another, larger one soon!).

Be well,

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW that is beautious ! Excellent work !

"Very curly", Doc! Nice job...I sure hope those little ones will someday appreciate their dad's awesome skill as a "timber artist"!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very often, Mother Nature's artistry is truly amazing. Doc, you've taken that artistry, added your own and have come up with a beautiful piece to behold! Awesome. What more can one say? Awesome!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thumbs up

Wow!!!!!!!

nothing short of amazing Doc! That's table the kids will fight over one day (hopefully a very long long time from now!).

Great job!

Betsy

WOW that looks great Don. You did a fantastic job.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Doc,
    Did you use something on the back side of the plywood to make it a "core" or simply laminate the maple to the plywood? I have read various opinions about this...that it depends on the thickness of the top layer, etc. Are you woried about movement etc.? This is absolutely stunning. The combination of maple and walnut is one of my favorites.

Thank you to all for the wonderful comments. This is by far the best looking piece I've made thus far.

Mark, I did a lot of research into laminating and this is what I decided on. When I resawed and planed the curly maple, it came out to 1/4 inch. The walnut is 5/4 finished (started at 6/4 - I wanted it thicker but couldn't find a nice enough piece). Anyway, that left me with 1 inch. So I laminated 2 pieces of 1/2 inch baltic birch (at 90 degrees to each other). Then simply laminated the maple over this base. I used Unibond 800 and a vacuum press for all the laminations. Due to the thickness of the veneer I chose not to add another piece at the bottom.

Between this and the possibility of wood movement with the maple, I took some big chances - only time will tell, but personally I think it'll be fine.

Be well,

Doc

Don...

Outstanding work! I'm a sucker for figured wood, and that's some really beautiful maple.
    Sam/Atlanta

Two thumbs up on a beautiful piece of work.
    roger

Don
    Outstanding! If you can do that for a kitchen table, can't wait to see a dining table!

Nice job!! I love the contrast with the walnut and curly maple.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Doc, you did good on this one!!! The wrought iron base along with that stunning top make for one top notch piece. You should be very proud of yourself. And with a quarter inch of material, it's going to take the kids a few years before they reach the baltic birch Way to go!!!

Great combination Doc. That curly maple grain really did pop! I know this will become a family heirloom.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb