Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big minnow - little minnow

Big minnow - little minnow

Took a bandsaw box class at Woodcraft this weekend - had a good time. Learned the basics of bandsaw boxes. Could not resist trying to make a miniature - so here is the large box next to the minature - you can see the small box is just at an 1" high - the drawer works - I could not get good enough detail in a picture to show - (not much of a photog - my apologies to the photo police)

I've not put a finish on yet - I only do finishing work when I have several projects to do at once - saves on the clean up, etc.

Thanks for looking
    Betsy
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's really neat, Betsy! I know I couldn't get my big mitts close enough to the blade for such fine work. Great job! Oh yeah....How did you line the box interior? Suede, velvet, flocking???
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Mike - I'm going to use flocking for both boxes. I'll be using a q-tip to apply the adhesive to the mini-minnow. The interior of the drawers are barely big enough for the tip of my little finger!

It was a fun challenge - can't see myself making to many of them - but it was fun all the same.

Betsy

Uhhhhhh...."Mike"??? I've been called a LOT of names, so I guess "Mike" isn't so bad! Good luck on the flocking! Don't know if I'd even bother with the "bazooka" for that little bit!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Uhhhhhh...."Mike"??? I've been called a LOT of names, so I guess "Mike" isn't so bad! Good luck on the flocking! Don't know if I'd even bother with the "bazooka" for that little bit!
    Sorry - John - my humlest apologies - must have had to much sawdust in my system to navigate the creek.

I'll post pictures of the final product - I figure it's just as easy to flock the little one with the big one - the little guy will use the left overs the big guy does not use.

Betsy

No prob on the name thing. Like I said, it's *still* a LOT better than what some folks call me! I *am* really interested in seeing what that mini-box looks like once finished. That is truly neat! I'm envious, as I just don't believe I can do such small work. I imagine it requires a great amount of patience and concentration.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Very nice Betsy! Like John, I don't believe that I could create such small work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Very nice Betsy! Like John, I don't believe that I could create such small work.
    The little cuts are definetly not for the faint of heart - I did use the scroll saw for the inside cuts - just used the band saw to cut off the backs and front. The eraser end of one of those multitude of pencils made for a good push stick to keep the piece going straight.

Thanks for looking.
    Betsy

Nice work Betsy!

Thanks Kelly!

here they are with a finish and flocking

I've finally had time to finish and flockthe drawers of my minnows - hope you enjoy them.

Betsy

They look even better finished Betsy. I am quite inmpressed.

Great work Betsy,

I don't know why but things seem more interesting when they are really small or really BIG.

Keep up the great work.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Thanks Frank and Chuck - I think small seems cool just because it seems impossible to get such detail in small things.

Thanks again for looking.
    Betsy

Yeah, what Frank said: They look real nice all finished up! Still, the little one might be too tough for me to make. Unless, of course, I could fit the end of my pinky finger in there, 'cuz that's what I'd probably lose trying to cut the little thing! Were you able to get nice coverage with the flocking inside the pinto-sized one?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas