Thread: Curly Maple in NJ

Curly Maple in NJ

For you Jersey guys out there.....where is a good place to buy curly/tiger maple?

Where in NJ are you?

I think that finding curly or other rare figured woods is more of a serendipitous (luck) thing than selecting the dealer.

I have gotten very nice wood recently at Willard Bros. in the Lawrence/Trenton/Hamilton area...they are a tad pricey but have very nice stock and most of it is skip-planed so you can see the figure. They are also very close to home for me...convenience sometimes trumps price.

I also am fond of driving over to the NW Philly suburbs to visit Spacht Sawmill (GREAT guy Dave Spacht) he had curly cherry the other day and some other interesting wood curly ash (had to be seen). But, he mills local wood only and doesn't see a lot of maple...great walnut, cherry, and sycamore but not much maple.

I have bought some hard maple -- great price -- at Boards & Beams in Fairfield NJ..further north jersey than I prefer to go for lumber but they had nice inventory and great pricing. Their price list is online. They are in Fairfield close to where RT 46 and I287.

Thanks Matt. I am in Morris County and I can get to Boards & Beams in twenty minutes. I have been to Monteath and American Mahogany. Both rarely have much and they are pricey. You are right when you say it is as much luck as anything. When I go to Home Depot, I always look through the supply of maple. Some of the boards will have curl. Quite serendipitous I would say....

I plan on making a trip to Fairfield next weekend. Thanks for the lead.
    Last edited by Ed Gibbons; 01-17-2010 at 6:38 AM.