Thread: Wooden hand plane kits?

Wooden hand plane kits?

Hello, I am new to the forum and am from San Antonio, Texas.

I and am looking for wooden hand plane kit (woody?). A kit that includes the wood, blade and all part plus diagrams for making/asembling the wooden plane. I have seen then on line in the past but have not been able to find it again. I am looking for a kit that will produce a usable good quality plane, so would prefer if it is a kit that someone has actually used and has some first hand knowledge of the quality of the plane once completed.

Thanks for the assistance, Eugene.

Ron Hock sells one and HNT Gordon sell one or two. The Gordon block plane kit (it is a 55 degree plane) is available from Craftsman Studio in San Diego as is the Hock Kit. The Hock kit ( for a standard 45 degree plane) is is under plane blades in the online catalogue at Craftsman Studio. It is also available from Hock's own website as well. I have no experience with either but both are good companies so I would have confidence in their kits.

The HNT Gordon kit available at Craftman Studio or Highland Hardware is easy and effective. I built the HNT Gordon jack plane and it's a wonderful plane. I've also used the Krenov style plane blades made by Ron Hock to build a plane, but I have not used his kit. It's a great blade.

Knight toolworks sells kits and finished planes: http://knight-toolworks.com/

I haven't used either the kits or finished planes, but they have been highly praised. Maybe someone else will chime in. I've been very tempted....

Jim

I just noticed yesterday that Woodcraft's online store has the Ron Hock Kit. I don't think the San Antonio store has these in stock, but you'd have to call them to find out for sure.

I've not used this kit myself, nor any other kit. I have made a variety of planes in this style though.

Since you're also in San Antonio, I could show you what's involved, how to use one, and perhaps save you some time and money.

Steve Knight's Kits Recommended

I would also recommend you go to Steve Knight's web site and take a look at his kits. I have several of his planes and they are excellent and are in my opinion the best value on the market.

If or when you order a kit from him, make sure you get the best blade possible. I recommend the O2 blades rather than the bottom line blades the kit may come with.

A benefit with dealing with Steve Knight is his advice and commitment to your success is freely given and very good. He knows what it takes to make a good plane.

Not affiliated, but very satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    I would also recommend you go to Steve Knight's web site and take a look at his kits. I have several of his planes and they are excellent and are in my opinion the best value on the market.

If or when you order a kit from him, make sure you get the best blade possible. I recommend the O2 blades rather than the bottom line blades the kit may come with.

A benefit with dealing with Steve Knight is his advice and commitment to your success is freely given and very good. He knows what it takes to make a good plane.

Not affiliated, but very satisfied.
    my 02 irons are my cheap irons
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

My poor choice of words...

Steve, your sense of humor always makes me smile too...

I was referring to the Galoot Tools blade options. I have the Performance Series Galoot blade in your smoother and I recommend it highly over the Economy Series Galoot Tool blade. It's as good as my best Japanese blade.

I have two O2 blades in a 17" razee jack and a 9 inch jack. They are every bit as good as the Performance Series blade from Galoot for my purposes. I use them in cherry, red oak, SYP, and some exotics. They keep me happy. I will say the O2 blade is more easily sharpened but both types take a simple honing to keep in the action.

There is nothing "cheap" about the O2's performance and that's for sure. Other choice of words like bargain, best buy, trade off etc don't do them justice either. I shouldn't have used the word cheap as it makes me feel inaccurate to say the least. High quality, solid performance...great price !