Thread: Veritas mini marking gauge issues

Veritas mini marking gauge issues

I got a Veritas mini marking gauge from Lee Valley last November. It is the little stainless one with the twin heads. It looks great, but when I use it the beveled cutter almost always pulls it out of set, even cross grain. It is like i just cant get it tight enough by hand, and i'm not about to take a pair of vise grips to it. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thought it was just me

unless I take the lightest of passes, which doesn't really mark all that well, I have the same problem. I assumed it was operator error because it usually is when a decently made tool doesn't work for me (and it may still be).

If its technique, I'd love to get some ideas how to fix my approach, cuz I like the idea of the tool.

Have you given thought to adding a small disc of plastic in the thumb screw holes that will grip the tool bar and hopefully limit slippage or filing a small flat the whole length to give a rougher surface for the thumb screw end to grip.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I do find the set screw knobs are smaller than I would like but I was using mine this weekend and didn't experience the problems you've described. Maybe I'm not bearing down on the cutting as much as you are. I do find that I get better accuracy from a couple light passes than a single heavy one but that's true of all my gauges.

Cheers --- Larry

Hi James -

Sorry you're having a problem with your gauge...

One thing to check:

There should be brass "shoes" under the lock-down knobs, please check that they're there. If so - try a quick pass over a coarser sandpaper to give some "tooth" to the surface... if not, give me a shout by email with your address, and we'll send you some spares.

Perversely - this is something that can occur when machining gets too good: surfaces have too fine a finish to yield a large enough coefficient of friction... even a couple of swipes of an emery paper on a shaft, shoe, or lock-up knob can be enough to solve a slipping problem. It's also important to note that a burnishing effect can occur over time too - and cause the same problem - this goes for any tool where a mechanism bears on a surface and relies on friction for lock-up. Blades/blade beds, shafts and collars, and -down clamps are just a few....

Cheers -

Rob
    (Heading out to Rochester to see the Woodworkers Society .... )

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground

Thumbs up LV Mini Marking Gauge

James,

I too found there was initially a tendency for the guides to travel in use. I used some fine waterpaper to remove the polish from the shaft and the guides have remained fixed in place since. I agree that the knobs are small, however it is supposed to be small and I use extensively as it is small enough to fit in a pocket on my apron and the ability to hold two settings is a great convenience.

I have the larger LV wheel marking gauge as well but the mini is my go-to gauge due to the convenience.

Kudos to Rob and his crew for another great product.

Erik

Thank you for the input, Rob.

I'm expecting mine every day now, but I'm concerned that my SS receiver may experience the same problems as the OP.

I'll send him the link to this thread.

Thank you.

It is appreciated.

rob, thanks for the ideas... it still has the shoes, and a lack of friction is clearly my problem... so i will try adding some more friction.