Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax S14 - What's the Deal?

Minimax S14 - What's the Deal?

All opinions requested.... good or bad.

The new Minimax S14 bandsaw looks intriguing The price puts it right in line with the Delta 14" X5, the Jet 16" and stretching it a little, the Laguna LT14 and Powermatic 14".

They are all 1.5 HP with varying resaw capacities, Delta and Powermatic (6" - 12" with riser), Jet (10"), Laguna (8.5") and the Minimax (8").

Supposing that I'll never resaw anything greater than 8", what are your opinions on these machines?

If you've already gone through this decision making process, what made you decide on the saw you eventually purchased? For owners of any of these machines, what have you found as strong and weak points?

I appreciate everyone’s time. Thanks.

Brian

The Mini Max S14" is a very new machine in the line, but I suspect it's well appointed given my very positive experiences with the company. It will not be the same as the larger saws, however, but is still a sturdy Euro design. The Delta X5 is pretty much the same bandsaw they've been selling for "eons"...proven machine, but the non-X5 version may be a better buy if the standard warranty is fine for you. The Jet 16" is usually mentioned by owners in the same sentence with the word, "underpowered". (same for the 18" version) I'm not specifically familiar with the Laguna, but there is usually a love/hate relationship with the company. Their heavy saws are good, but I'm not sure about their low-end. Ideally, being able to view all of them and really compare "the beef" at a show would be the best situation. Look at the construction. And also put the 17" Bridgewood, General International and Grizzly (G0513) on your short list to check out if you need to stay in that price range but want a larger, heavy saw. Nice machines.

Regarding resaw height...don't assume that it will never be a factor in your work unless you 1) never will turn and 2) will never be building anything more than small projects. The extra height will often come in handy when you least expect it. It will also give you the freedom to do things like bookmatch wide panels with minimal glue joints. I found this handy this weekend when preparing stock for some tall drawers that I didn't want to have to glue up from narrow material. I also find that even for smaller work, the view is a lot better when the top wheel is higher from the table.

{Edit} 'Looks like Tim Palmer just bought the MM S14...he has pics in the Bandsaw thread started by Tony Shaftel.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-18-2004 at 9:27 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brian, I second Jim’s words of wisdom. I value highly the “after the sale” support that comes with an expensive machine. MiniMax has been exemplary in their support of my MM16 and will occasionally email me just to make sure that I am still satisfied with the machine
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I also have the MM-16 and love both the machine & the "after the sale" attention that I have gotten from the MM staff.

Does anyone know where the S-14 is made? I had heard they where going to build a new saw but where getting it somewhere different to have it built.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Brian,
    Where are you located? You might be intested in the specials from Redmond Machinery - while they are in teh south west Atlanta area, they also ship. I just took advantage of the reconditioned Delta 28-299 (14", 1 hp *made in America*) bandsaw.
    Here's the link :http://www.redmond-machinery.com/specials.htm
    With the exception of the motor (1 hp vs. 1 1/2 hp) it's the same as the X5. Price of $489 makes it hard to pass up.

Maurice

Easier to pass up if you live in LA. They quoted $200 shipping.

Tony

I hope Mini does a better job with this new saw than Laguna did when I bought a new model. After my experience with Laguna and the LT-16 I would have to say I would wait for the bugs to definately be worked out. I'm not knocking Mini but just trying to offer caution. Aside from that I would say that you would have an awesome 14" if you bought this saw. When considering resaw you might also someday want to build a box and cut the top off after the joinery is done. you might have trouble if that is the case.

I think I saw that Jet has increased their HP, and while it is a good BS, I have a MM16 and think the customer service from MM can't be beat. While no one ships 100% perfect equipment MM will make it good no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max
    Does anyone know where the S-14 is made? I had heard they where going to build a new saw but where getting it somewhere different to have it built.
    It's made by Meber in Italy. If you want to be sure call MiniMax.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    It's made by Meber in Italy. If you want to be sure call MiniMax.
    The S16 is made by Meber, but the S14 is sourced in Taiwan. (I have that direct from MM) Both are excellent products and are made to the company's demanding specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The S16 is made by Meber, but the S14 is sourced in Taiwan. (I have that direct from MM) Both are excellent products and are made to the company's demanding specifications.
    Hmmm... I thought the MM salesman told me the S14 was made in Italy. As I remember him saying "wouldn't you like a fine machine that is actually made in Italy where Lamborghinis and Ferrarris are made?" He was trying to talk me out of the Bulgarian made Laguna 14SE. I can't decide what BS to buy either. I'm comparing MM S14, Laguna 14SE, Rikon 18", and ShopFox 17". Right now I'm leaning to the ShopFox. It has lots of features at a reasonable price. The only thing I dont like is that the upper wheel tensoiner is made from aluminum and rides in a steel channel. If I were more than an occasional user, I think it would wear out faster. Hope this rambling helps....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parks
    Hmmm... I thought the MM salesman told me the S14 was made in Italy. As I remember him saying "wouldn't you like a fine machine that is actually made in Italy where Lamborghinis and Ferrarris are made?"
    I *hate* when salesman pull this kinda fluff. What the heck does Ferrari have to do with MiniMax??? Nada, zippo, zero.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris, I suspect that was a tounge-in-cheek statement, rather than a "pitch"...

So what is the truth? Taiwan, or Italy? I'm stearing away from the S14 because I want the ability to occasionally saw a 12" log. The other machines I mentioned will all resaw 12", and I don't want to use a saw with a riser block. THe MM guy told me a 14" saw was never meant to resaw at 12" because the blade tension required is so great that the blade should not be bent at that small of radius over the wheels. That's why theirs only does 8". But for occasional 12" use, i don't see this being a problem.

Anyway, back to the original question... Brian says he will not need to resaw more than 8", so I think he'll be happy with any of these saws. (I know I would). IMHO, in that case, I would lean toward the MM S14 (for price), then the Laguna 14 (because it is way cool).
    I've seen the MM video, and it seems like it is a nice and quality machine. However, the video shows only the 16" saw in action. I think it would be money well spent over the Delta or the Jet.

The final decision will come after seeing all these saws in action at a woodworking show. Hope this helps....