Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Charities do you Trust?

Question What Charities do you Trust?

With the earthquake in Haiti, governments and charities are rushing to help.

For those who want to help out, do you have a charity that you trust, in terms of delivering help in the way that you want and in terms of their financial accountability.

I hope for more positive recommendations than warnings about misuse of gifts on this thread, though I know the warnings are very important.

Thanks,

Brian Kent
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I am a member of the LDS church. They are extremely well known for their assistance during disasters such as this and the moneys are well used. I am sure if you contacted a local LDS bishop and said you wanted to make a donation for Haiti, he could take care of that.

I work for a large (worldwide) software manufacturer and they donate to CARE and the American Red Cross, as have I.

Just a thought or two.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    For those who want to help out, do you have a charity that you trust, in terms of delivering help in the way that you want and in terms of their financial accountability.
    CRWRC - Christian Reformed World Relief. Yes, a christian organization. They do relief and rebuilding all over the world, from third world stuff, to supplying goats in Africa, to domestic efforts after Hurricane Katrina and so on.

I also trust Amnesty International, the Arthritis Society, the Canadian Cancer Society, and several others -- but I don't think they're oriented toward helping in Haiti
    "It's Not About You."

Brian,
    I don't have a recommendation for you, but I use http://www.charitynavigator.org/ to get a better picture of the charities I donate to. It has helped eliminate some from my list and feel better about others.
    Bob V.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    CRWRC - Christian Reformed World Relief. Yes, a christian organization. They do relief and rebuilding all over the world, from third world stuff, to supplying goats in Africa, to domestic efforts after Hurricane Katrina and so on.
    I was going to suggest the same. My son and I and a bunch of people from our church are going to the New Orleans area in March to help with the rebuilding effort there.

I sponsor a child through Compassion International. She's a 7 year old girl in Peru. I did research before doing so and discovered CI to be among the most well administered charities in the world. The CEO is a member of my church. (Although, we don't see him much. He spends almost all his time travelling around the world to make sure CI stays well administered.)

My daughter has since started working for CI. From the inside, she also reports everything is top notch, on the level and first rate.

During a disaster such as an earthquake, we want to help and we want to help now. But please consider a long term commitment by sponsoring a child through Compassion International. You can choose to sponsor a child in Haiti. Your money will go directly to that child month after month. You can even write your sponsored child directly and they write back. Really! After this earthquake, those kids are going to need help more than ever; and long after much of the immediate help stops.

The CI web page also currently has a "Donate Now" link for a one-time contribution to help the people of Haiti:

www.compassion.com

Although the url is a ".com", they are a non-profit. I think they use .com because that's what most people are familiar with. (That and I think someone else registered "compassion.org".)

Red Cross and the Salvation Army. Two groups who put their money (and action) where their mouths are.

My daughter just sent me an email about Haiti which included this:

"We haven't been able to get any information back regarding children who have been affected/killed by the earthquake. All communication is down...in every part of the country! Please be praying."

That Charity Navigator site is great! Thanks for the link, Bob.

Salvation Army When I was in the national guard at the Kent State riots the Red Cross came in and wanted us to pay for there services but the Salvation amry showed up and gave out coffee, donuts, news papers and sandwichs for free. Some nights that was the only food that I got after coming in from guard duty. I make sure I give to them when I can. No Red cross for me.

trusted charities

Samaritans Purse
    World Vision

Keep 'em coming

The two that I have always trusted are the Salvation Army and the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR). UMCOR's specialty will be in the upcoming months and years - long term helping people get their lives and livelihood back together. It is good to hear some names of groups that do immediate relief help.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I believe UNICEF is contributing greatly to this disaster as well.

unicef.org
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

+1 on UMCOR

Just text 90999 with the message "haiti" in the message body to donate 10 dollars from your cell phone to the Red Cross.

In cases like this you always see the Red Cross, that is where my money went.

http://newsroom.redcross.org/2010/01...uake-in-haiti/
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I sponsor a child through Compassion International. She's a 7 year old girl in Peru. I did research before doing so and discovered CI to be among the most well administered charities in the world. The CEO is a member of my church. (Although, we don't see him much. He spends almost all his time travelling around the world to make sure CI stays well administered.)

My daughter has since started working for CI. From the inside, she also reports everything is top notch, on the level and first rate.

During a disaster such as an earthquake, we want to help and we want to help now. But please consider a long term commitment by sponsoring a child through Compassion International. You can choose to sponsor a child in Haiti. Your money will go directly to that child month after month. You can even write your sponsored child directly and they write back. Really! After this earthquake, those kids are going to need help more than ever; and long after much of the immediate help stops.

The CI web page also currently has a "Donate Now" link for a one-time contribution to help the people of Haiti:

www.compassion.com

Although the url is a ".com", they are a non-profit. I think they use .com because that's what most people are familiar with. (That and I think someone else registered "compassion.org".)

i do something similiar with a org called children international. i have a little boy in mexico. you can also get a child or many childred in haiti.

before you donate to any charity always findout what percentage of your donation actually goes to the people